letting a broody sit twice as long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Aug 17, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my broody is not having any luck with this clutch of eggs...started with 14, she managed to break 5, two are unfertile duckeggs and the other 7 are on day 2" and 24 with no signs of hatching (possibly infertile eggs from my new chickens before the roo got them)
    she is a wonderful mum having raised many many chicks.
    would it be cruel of me to take away these last 7 eggs and slip under a few new ones and let her sit another 21 days? she has food and water next to her so never has to go out looking for food/water....
    just wondering if she will sit another 21 days or will she think the eggs are still the first batch, duds, and walk away?
    not sure what to do. am worried if i let her walk away shes going to try stealing chicks off the other mums?
    have tried to locate a few day olds but noone has any this time of year
    not sure what to do for the best

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    There are those on this forum who would do just as you are suggesting.

However, I am not one of those. Each of my broodies has lost noticable weight during the broody stage.
    I think pushing her to go through that a second time without a break is too hard on the bird. This just my opinion !

If she goes broody frequently, you will get a shot at hatching those eggs again. A good broody is worth her weight in GOLD.
    Take care of her so that she lasts a long time for you. [​IMG]

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would entirely agree, I would not let a broody hen go on to have a second clutch of eggs.

Being broody takes a lot out of a hen as she eats, drinks and exercises so little during the process.

I have some VERY broody hens, but I make sure that they have time to recover between broods.

I know there are others who will take the view that it is perfectly fine to allow a hen to continue brooding, but I feel that this would not happen naturally an therefore should not be encouraged.

Sandie

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    im just worried shes going to go off and pinch someones chicks...so not sure whether to seperate her for now or just wait and see. shes done it before, if she loses her own she steals a family and attacks the other mums, but i dont want rid of her as she goes broody a lot(!) bit of a dilemma im in [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by