Letting Animals Out While at Work?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by catcrazy37, Feb 20, 2017.

1. catcrazy37

catcrazy37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    If you work 8 hours a day, but the chickens and goats are clamoring to get out, while the rabbits need 3 hours a day outside, when do you do it? Do all the homesteading youtubers I see work from home? I can't imagine everyone leaves them outside unsupervised; I'd be worrying all day.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    First, when did it come up that rabbits need 3 hours outside----I missed that.

I would not allow my chickens to free range---if that's what you are talking about while I was gone to work. My chickens would be out in their chicken yard(fenced in area), but not free ranging where any predator could get to them.

3. catcrazy37

Jul 4, 2014
    Oh, I read they should have 3 hours to run around and such (not specifically outside, I exaggerated a little).

Okay, letting the chickens out in a enclosed, safe space seems fine. That's a good point.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, just for info I been raising rabbits for--uhhh--a long time--LOL, got my first in 1977. They are always in their good size wire cages and are never "let out" to do what ever. They have always done good, BUT these are not pets. Some people keep them for pets and keep it in a small Taxi for the day-----yep I agree it needs to be allowed some where to move around---probably where what you read came from.

Chickens need to be is a SAFE Pen. So many build a pen/run using chicken wire----Chicken wire is good to keep the chickens in but most decent size predators out. They will tear right in it and kill the chickens.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  5. catcrazy37

Jul 4, 2014
    Yes, these rabbits are pet rabbits. Letting them out is just some enrichment. And I'm glad of the fact that I can just let the chickens out in a safe run and they'll be fine.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Rabbits should get out some especially kept in a cage but you might benefit from keeping them in an x pen set up! You can look it up but basically you take a dog exercise pen (or build a pen to any size/shape you want) and you put the cage inside of the pen and put toys or hiding spaces or whatever in the oen. Basically the idea is they can then hop around and get their exercise when they want to rather than on your terms. And a lot of people actually think it's healthier and keep them in it full time. Some still do let them out into the house for play time or whatever but then it's not really necessary. Sounds like that may work best for you and your bunnies :)

And for your chickens, do they have a run or just a coop? Chickens should always have a run so if not I would build one. Same for the goats.

Seems they might just need a bigger space

Of course the grass will always be greener on the other side and they'll always be glad to get out but with a big enough pen, they should be fine.

And also maybe you could try some boredom busters. Like giving the chickens fruits and veggies and other treats to munch on and scratch through (but not too many, no more than 10% of the diet) or some perches on different levels/heights or stumps, leaves, etc., just some different things to do. And maybe give the goats things to jump on and eat too. Goats love jumping and playing. Just make sure the fence is high enough and the objects aren't so high they could get hurt

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not really go along with this----I have had rabbits in cages for many years---starting in 1977 but did stop for a few years, started back 22 years ago to date----never had their feet on dirt----some are several years old. I could give you many rabbit breeder names that have never had their rabbits on the dirt. I have never heard that they "Should" be let out of the cage. Is this for people that have them in a small cage about the size of the rabbit???

8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Sorry, I meant for pet rabbits, the ones inside in those little cages. I know people raise them outside in cages/pens like yours and they do just fine :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. EMS2005

EMS2005 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2013
    Georgia
    Hmmm... I personally would allow goats and chickens out unsupervised. The caveat for the goats particularly would be to make sure the fencing was tight and check it regularly. We run errands while the hens are out and do a head count and check for eggs when we get back. I think yes, a majority of the homesteading youtubers probably do work from home, and don't actively watch their livestock that whole time. Though to be fair, they're probably within earshot of any trouble that might occur. They also might have a livestock guardian dog or other animal to do the supervising for them and may use electric fencing for further protection.

10. chriseye72

chriseye72 New Egg

Feb 23, 2017
    I have no idea what I'm doing though I have a neighbor who raises chickens and they can't answer this question. If I decide that I want to raise chickens, and I have a pool, when I go to work can I let them free range or am I going to come home to floating birds? It's an inground pool with no fence between where the coop would be and the pool. I'll await your answers or I can be contacted here.
    Thanks,
    Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by