Letting baby chick meet adult chickens?

Brightbird

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2022
I was hoping to get friends for my week old chick, but everywhere I’ve looked was a bust. All farm stores are out of chicks, there are no hatcheries nearby from what I know of, and no one around us are selling chicks. I was able to get the chick a mirror as I was recommended doing so to help alleviate their loneliness. They like to peck and chirp at the mirror but I still feel bad about not being able to give him flockmates. The stores won’t have any more chicks until 2 weeks later, and I don’t think it’d be a good idea to put a day old chick with a chick who would be 3 weeks old at the time.

I got a new enclosure for them today but quickly found out that they were small enough to escape through the bars, so it’ll be a week or two before they can live in it. It tends to get up to the 90s right now, but I won’t know how hot it’ll get in a week or two. If it’s hot enough to not worry about the chick getting cold, would it be a good idea to take them out in the enclosure to the coop to get some socialization? There aren’t any other chicks in the coop, as they were the only one that hatched. I don’t know if the adult chickens would try to hurt them or not but I don’t like him not being able to talk to other chickens. I’m especially worried about the chick’s mother being aggressive, as she attempted to kill them, prompting me to take them inside.

I would get additional chicks when you can. The few weeks won't matter much esp if they're simular breeds. Example: (You won't want to get Bantum chicks when you have Rhode Island Red chick at 3 weeks old, the size is too different) Good luck and get him some friends to grow with. But, don't introduce your chick to the Hens. It will be a fatal mistake and you will cry.

Back
Top Bottom