Letting big group of muscovy on pond? ticks

animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
My friend has a big tick issue, lymes, so we got 6 or 7 muscovy ducks last night they are about 4 months old just reaching adult size

HE has a HUGE pond, can they be let go? , HE has a great pryanese but the thing is this he has 2 dogs, I go over sometimes, And his dogs are scared of mine.

So I dont know how they would stop a real predator??? He says they would but my dog is not even aggressive with his and she puts the fear of god into them when she chases them shes not trying to hurt them.

My friend has a big tick issue, lymes, so we got 6 or 7 muscovy ducks last night they are about 4 months old just reaching adult size

HE has a HUGE pond, can they be let go? , HE has a great Pyrenees but the thing is this he has 2 dogs, I go over sometimes, And his dogs are scared of mine.

So I don't know how they would stop a real predator??? He says they would but my dog is not even aggressive with his and she puts the fear of god into them when she chases them shes not trying to hurt them.

I am thinking these ducklings are too young for a big pond, easy picking for flying preds right now and also snapping turtles. I'd give them a few months to get full size then release them and some training for LGD in the mean time as to what it's role is with these ducks. Just because you have a great Pyrenees doesn't mean you can just let it lose with ducks and they know what to do, Training is very important and the dog needs to learn the ducks are his to protect. All the best. There are others on here that have Live stock guardian dogs so maybe start a new thread and ask for training tips.

the great pry is great with the ducks and the chickens, but she is scared of some dogs, all our dogs are good with the birds.

ill tell him to hold off and not let them go just yet I can see their flight feathers come in

can we get some guineafowl and put them in with them also? Lymes is a huge problem here. Worried chickens are too delicate with ducks. Also chickens are not as savvy as guineafowl or as fast?

Last edited:
the great pry is great with the ducks and the chickens, but she is scared of some dogs, all our dogs are good with the birds.

ill tell him to hold off and not let them go just yet I can see their flight feathers come in

can we get some guineafowl and put them in with them also? Lymes is a huge problem here. Worried chickens are too delicate with ducks. Also chickens are not as savvy as guineafowl or as fast?
Guineas are suppose to be great at taking care of ticks. and that's great about the dog already use to poultry, I was thinking this dog was just now being introduced. If their flight feathers are just coming in yep they are too young to be on their own yet. My chicken do fine with my Scovy's though. LF and bantam.

He said all the ducks got out and went to the pond, anyway to get them to come back to the penn? Wow that was quick,

I told him to try spreading some feed on the ground near the penn?

Last edited:
He said all the ducks got out and went to the pond, anyway to get them to come back to the penn? Wow that was quick,

I told him to try spreading some feed on the ground near the penn?

Only put feed inside the pen and at the opposite side from the gate, so when they come in to eat he can close the gate. Do not feed at the pond or anywhere else. I hope they can survive they are awfully young to be at the pond. Hopefully he'll be able to lure them back especially since food at the pond being we're all going into fall/winter shouldn't be as prolific.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom