Letting broody hen try again

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
I have a hen that's gone total broody. She did it last fall and I let her set on some eggs. Ended badly with one survivor. She is at it again. I have to take the eggs from her every day. I have no Roo due to a Weasel so the eggs are not fertile. I have new chicks going to the coop tomorrow with at least two cockerels. I ordered 4 more eggs from the guy I just had a good hatch of his eggs for her to set on. She really wants to be a Mom and I feel bad she is setting on blanks.

I get lots of broodies. I am constantly breaking someone. If I let everyone hatch I'd be buried in chickens instead of just surrounded. :oops:

Good luck. :)

I get lots of broodies. I am constantly breaking someone. If I let everyone hatch I'd be buried in chickens instead of just surrounded. :oops:

Good luck. :)
OK, I don't want to let this go beyond her. Will just taking the eggs break them from it?

Sometimes, but sometimes (often) not. I have silkies and no rooster and I remove the eggs every day. Some hens still sit broody on nothing half the day and then move over to new eggs the minute they are laid. I don't worry about it. It seems I've always got at least one broody all spring, summer and fall. It is handy when I want new chicks though. They have mammaed feed store chicks more than once and done a good job of it.

Sometimes, but sometimes (often) not. I have silkies and no rooster and I remove the eggs every day. Some hens still sit broody on nothing half the day and then move over to new eggs the minute they are laid. I don't worry about it. It seems I've always got at least one broody all spring, summer and fall. It is handy when I want new chicks though. They have mammaed feed store chicks more than once and done a good job of it.
Yeah, that's her. She will move to any egg in the coop. She will also set in an empty box for hours.

OK, I don't want to let this go beyond her. Will just taking the eggs break them from it?
I generally pen mine away from their chosen nest site or block their nests. Generally it takes 3-7 days to break them depending on how long they have been broody.

Back
Top Bottom