Letting Chicken out of Jail

Owain1

Chirping
Sep 22, 2019
We have a very aggressive EE. She is mounting chickens and pulling feathers out of other chickens heads. Three look terrible because of this. She also Crows regularly. (Yes she's a girl. She lays Olive colored eggs). So I put her in jail. She's been in her own pen on the opposite side of the house for a week now. The rest of the flock have calmed way down without her there.

I want to reintroduce her, but don't know if I should do it in the daytime or at night. Looking for thoughts.

The chickens do have about 3000 square feet during the day. She is also not the head hen in the flock. There is another hen (Plymouth Rock) that puts her in her place once in a while, but isn't really aggressive with any of the hens.

Do you have a pic of 'her'?
Sounds like a boy to me
Not a great picture, but she's definitely a girl. She's nearly 2 and lays Olive Green Eggs. 3 while she was in jail this week.

It really makes no difference, but you'll have to watch her closely
to make sure she's learned her lesson. I had the same problem
with a White Maran that I had to eventually cull.
Thanks. I was worried that I'd start a chicken fight if I threw her back in in the day time.

Attachments

• Giddy.jpg
    Giddy.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 7
We have a very aggressive EE. She is mounting chickens and pulling feathers out of other chickens heads. Three look terrible because of this. She also Crows regularly. (Yes she's a girl. She lays Olive colored eggs). So I put her in jail. She's been in her own pen on the opposite side of the house for a week now. The rest of the flock have calmed way down without her there.

I want to reintroduce her, but don't know if I should do it in the daytime or at night. Looking for thoughts.

The chickens do have about 3000 square feet during the day. She is also not the head hen in the flock. There is another hen (Plymouth Rock) that puts her in her place once in a while, but isn't really aggressive with any of the hens.
Hi, what did you end up doing? I have an Issa Brown who is doing the same thing. I have six chickens and all of them but one have missing feathers and one is the worst. I searched chicken jail ha to see what came up. I hope you’ve got good news :(

Back
Top Bottom