1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Letting Chickens Clean up Carcus?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hillbilly Rooster, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Hillbilly Rooster

Hillbilly Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    Is it ok or have you heard of anyone allowing their chickens to clean up a deer carcus after proccessing it? Just wondering since it would be good protein.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They will be fine... It is a good source of animal protein..

Chris

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I seriously thought about tossing a couple of deer carcasses into my fenced garden to allow my large fowl to pick it clean. I decided not to as it might be just one more thing to attract coyotes.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    One other thing with you living in MI it should be good and cold there with a little snow my now [​IMG] so you wont have to worry about it going bad as long as your temperature doesn't get above 35 or so..

Chris

5. Hillbilly Rooster

Hillbilly Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    Quote:Not really worried about the coyotes as much as the coons and the fox then they just like to chase the chickens and kill.

Right now I have a live trap set and some conabears. Hides are not worth anything any more and i dont know how correctly skin, flesh or stretch the hides never was shown how so that I could make more money.

6. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I let my hens pick at the skinned hide of the deer I shot a few weeks ago. I did not put it in their run I just left it out in the yard so they could get at it when they were freeranging. It lasted about a week before some critter drug it off into the woods.

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I let mine eat all of the meat leftovers. We just roasted a whole hog and I am tossing the carcass out piece by piece for them and the dogs to finish off. They love it, especially the fat! Not that much fat on a deer, but I'm sure they'd love it anyway! [​IMG]

Shelly

8. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    I normally throw the leftover carcass from a whole chicken or turkey out for the girls .... the fat and skin are their favorites! It sure keeps the eggs coming.

Gwen

eclecktic1 likes this.
  9. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    What about worms or diseases wild game might be carrying? That would be my only concern.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    My dogs get priority so not much left for chickens. With the nice cold weather you can leave a deer carcass out for them to chew on for months.

You should be able to tell game that had unhealthy parasite loads. Everything has some parasites. You most likely have some parasites. It's when parasites are concentrated in one area (which usually means concentrating and confining animals) that they become a problem. I do prefer to freeze anything raw before giving the dogs which is not a problem when it's currently -5F out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by