Letting Ducklings Swim...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckboatprincess, Apr 28, 2009.

1. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I've been letting my ducklings swim/walk in a water filled tote. It's deep enough that they can swim if they want but not so deep that they can't walk in it. How do you know when it's time for them to come out? They can't get in and out on their own so I just sit with them but I never know when to take them out. They are still all downy amd I imagine are only maybe 2 weeks old?

2. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I take mine out when they look like they are getting tired which is after about 15-30 minutes. I fill the tub so that they can reach the bottom when they are tired of swimming. They seem to put one foot down on the ground when they are ready to get out. Im not really sure when to take them out otherwise, but I just do when I have to get my stuff done around the house.

3. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I put some water in my bath tub and let them play..They can reach the bottom..The are 3 weeks old mallards...They stay in about 15 mins seem like they start to get tired or are just done.....

[​IMG]

4. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Okay... so then I'm doing it right. Thank you. I love letting them swim. My bigger pekin (Sonny) and a couple of the rouens like to dive so I was going to make the water deeper but maybe I'll just get the a bigger tub.

5. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Mine would start dozing off in the water after 15-30 minutes of hard swimming and playing. Ducklings are so cute, aside from the poo. [​IMG]

6. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    My ducks had no interest in swimming Friday, they kept jumping out of their little pool. The weather was hot out, the water was perfect, but they had more interest in catching worms. They think they are cats or something lol.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by