Letting hen lay eggs and sit on them - Question!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by @FendiChick, Jun 27, 2011.

1. @FendiChick

@FendiChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2010
    I have two hens and one rooster, all OEGBs. I have had to roo separated because he is about 7 months younger than the hens, but am planning to let him out with them this weekend. My question is whether I can just let him out and then let the hens lay their eggs and see what happens if they just sit on them? Temperature isn't an issue since I live in Miami. Can I just see if any of the eggs hatch without using an incubator?

Also- do I need to separate the hen and eggs, and if I do, when do I move her with the eggs? After she has started to sit on them ? When they start to hatch?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions, I just don't know.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The hen has to go broody or she will not sit on the eggs, but OEGB's very often do. I use broodies to hatch chicks and have let them do this in with the others several times. It has its problems, others lay eggs in the broody's nest or she steals eggs, they get stepped on, etc. I have marked the eggs I want to hatch (so they will all hatch about the same time) and had pretty good luck. Many people put a broody in a separate place, though. Here is an article all about broodies:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

3. @FendiChick

@FendiChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2010
    Thank you. I noticed that when I don't pick up eggs or don't see them in time, one of my hens in particular sits on the nest. Maybe that means she is the broody one? I think I will give it a try, the worst thing that can happen is that none of the eggs hatch. I will separate her and the eggs after she sits on them. Good article, thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by