Letting my Chickens into my yard.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bukrub66, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Bukrub66

Bukrub66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Montgomery, Texas
    I have 6 chickens that were 3 months old on Jan 17. I keep them in a 4x8 coop with an 8x12 run. They have been going into the coop at night on there own for about 2 weeks with out me having to corner them and physically put them there.

I would like to start releasing them into the yard, but am concerned about them going back in the coop. I live on 3/4 of an acre in the country and they could easily get away from me. I was thinking about opening the coop door about 30 minutes to an hour before dark and just seeing but. I'm a nervous reck about it. We have lots of preditors and as hard as it is to catch them in the run, I can't imagine how I would catch them in the yard.

Any advise would be great. Do you think they would go back to the coop on their own yet?

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    They will go into the coop at dusk just like they do now. If you're really concerned, get a net fence or some snow fencing and make them an extended run. I was concerned too, but mine (same age) go into the run to hang and chill even when the door is open to the yard and they put themselves to bed in the coop about 30 min before it gets dark with no problem at all.

Good luck!

3. Bukrub66

Bukrub66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Montgomery, Texas
    It went off without a hitch. I opened the run door at 5:15. They messed around, ate some weeds and at 6:05 they single filed into the coop. Thanks for the info.

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Yea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by