letting my chickens run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by puffjr, Aug 18, 2013.

1. puffjr

puffjr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    I'm new to having chickens. And have had them in there pin for 3weeks now and have let them out for a hour at a time. My question is how do they ack when its raining out. Will they run off or stay close by? And should I worry about them running off now that they been in there pin for that long?
    Also they haven't starting laying eggs yet. There about 24weeks old

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Depends on the chickens and how hard its raining. Mine like to stay out and hunt in a light rain. If its raining hard they come in. If they are coming in themselves at night, they'll keep coming home. Of course they could wander a good piece during the day. How far would be to far for you?

3. puffjr

puffjr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Thanks for the info. Don't know really I guess as long as I can see them. Yea I always wanted chickens and finally got them and just was wanting more info and help on them. Thinking about letting them out today its just a sprinkle now it was raining good earlier.

4. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    mine will stay out in a torrential down pour. Unless it's really cold out the rain won't harm them.

5. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I leave mine out all day raining or not they are smart enough to find shelter when raining hard if you provide it. Mine always go under my shed in a downpour.

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]Also I think they find a lot more worms and such in the rain.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by