1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Letting my flock in the yard question....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LaChicken84, Jan 29, 2017.

1. LaChicken84

LaChicken84 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2017
    I got 8 hens and 1 rooster 5 days ago. They are all mature. I've been letting them get used to their coupe and nesting boxes etc. When is it ok to let them out in the yard? How long usually does everyone let theirs roam? How do u get them to go back n coupe? Also I live n the country and I have woods beside and behind me. Lots of predators. Thanks

2. countrygirl345

countrygirl345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    Your birds should go back into their coop at night as long as they have been there long enough to recognize it as their home, so about a week. I just leave my coop door open and they always go back inside an hour or so before sunset. What concerns me is the predators. For that reason, I would only let them outside when you are home and within seeing/hearing distance of them. Maybe let them out for a couple of hours at the end of the day and then you won't have to round them up if you need to leave; you can just shut the coop. A good investment would be to build an outdoor run that is connected to the coop so that they have enough space to mill around without being exposed. If they are in a small space 24/7 then you'll have issues with picking and boredom and whatnot, so depending on the size of your coop and how many birds there are, a run might be a good idea. I like to allow 3-4 square feet per bird for full size chickens. Good luck!

3. LaChicken84

LaChicken84 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2017
    I'm at around 9-10 a sq foot right now. But I'm adding to the flock as well. I appreciate your advice!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by