letting my muscovey hatch her eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jennie315, Jul 27, 2010.

1. jennie315

jennie315 New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    This is the second go round for my female muscovey trying to hatch her eggs. Last time, a few months ago, not one single one hatched - yes I have a male - right now she is sitting on 12 eggs. she has been on them for just about 4 weeks. When I try to candle them i can see nothing. not really sure if im doing it right. any help, suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. She as fresh water and food close to her.

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    That long into incubation, the eggs should be all dark on the inside. Muscovy eggs incubate for 35 days, so if it has been 4 weeks I would say just wait and see. I know its hard, but jostling them too much or taking them now could cause problems. My female muscovy laid eggs way up in the hollow of a tree. I climbed up to check and one was already out of the shell, one was almost out, and three more had pipped. I knew, as small as that hollow was, the babies would end up falling out, so I brought them and the mama down. She refused to set on the eggs, even though she could see the babies coming out. I had to hatch them in the bator and give them back.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I don't have any moscovies, but from what I have read and heard from others is they are very prolific and the mothers are the best in the fowl world..I wish you lots of luck....just because you have a male...doesn't make him a good one if you know what I mean.

4. jennie315

jennie315 New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    thanks for the info - i will keep it in mind and update with info as it happens.

5. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Have you got a pond that the mother can swim in when she gets off? I know my scovie girl likes to wet her feathers before getting back on the nest, but im not sure if its essential for the babies inside.
    Probably just your drake not fertalising? Is he old enough/been taking her on 'dates' or the eggs just dont seem to be fertalising? [​IMG]

My hen laid about 19 eggs on her first nest [​IMG]
    Not sure why she had that many on her first nest [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by