Letting Nature Take it's Course... oh boy

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Why and Dotte, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    This will be interesting,
    I was going to break my broody but the family suggested letting her hatch and have "nature take it's course" no babying, mom will take care of them amongst the 32 chickens, those dotties are pretty tough. So here I am on day 2 still gathering eggs for this chicka, she's oblivious to anything, lol if I was going to break her with a breeze that would be pretty much impossible, it's going to hit 100s this weekend( I was gonna use an ice pack anyway).
    The offspring will be mixed 2nd generation, I'm trying to throw in some australorps and other good layers, the daddy is a maransx I think.

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Mutts lay eggs, their chicks usually are gorgeous, the experience will be enjoyable.
    I love broody hens and the whole hatching thing,

Enjoy it,

sandie

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Enjoy. Broodies are fun to have around.[​IMG]

4. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    They sure are, grumpiness and all!
    Last year's broody was an angel.

5. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    i wish one of my hens would go broody! i'd love doing it the natural way more then the bator.

GOOD LUCK [​IMG]

6. bethanyrae

bethanyrae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    mid-Michigan
    Hey, cool. I just did the same thing. A new hen went broody, and I wasn't sure if she would stay long enough for me to order eggs for a nice breed I want to develop. So I just gathered a days worth and stuck them under her. A real melange of eggs...6 types of large fowl under 2 types of roos, and two types of bantams under 2 types of roos. And I don't even know who donated...this will be fun!
    bethanyrae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by