Letting other chickens visit your chickens??

paulaoops

Hatching
Oct 15, 2015
A neighbor asked me if her chickens can stay in my barn for about a week until their chicken coop is finished. I've had chickens for over a year around my barn and am worried about possible parasites being introduced to my property that could be harmful to my chickens or other livestock. Is this a legitimate concern? I don't want to be unfriendly.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree that as long as you have an area you can keep these new totally seperate and wash down things could be kept to a minimum. It would be like quarantine for new birds you would add to your flock.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Thanks everyone - much appreciated! I now have a good & credible excuse to tell her no. ;-)

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

I agree with the other posters as well. I would not allow any chickens near my own until I have quarantined them for a month and checked them thoroughly for parasites or other problems. There are too many highly contagious diseases, and easily passed on parasites, to take the risk. It's common sense bio-security.

I agree too, it is so much better to be safe than sorry. She may take it the wrong way but, a lot of people have had disasters by not quarantining new birds. Mites, or worms etc.are an aggravation but, the chances of bringing in a contagious disease are just too great to take.

welcome-byc.gif

It might make you feel uncomfortable to tell the neighbor no, but it would make you feel worse if you did it and your chickens got sick or you had to deal with parasites. If she's a knowledgeable poultry keeper, she should understand. Actually, if she were knowledgeable about poultry, she wouldn't have asked you in the first place. For all she knows, she would be putting her own flock at risk of catching something from yours. Just not a good idea for either of you.

Back
Top Bottom