1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Letting other chickens visit your chickens??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by paulaoops, Oct 15, 2015.

1. paulaoops

paulaoops New Egg

Oct 15, 2015
    A neighbor asked me if her chickens can stay in my barn for about a week until their chicken coop is finished. I've had chickens for over a year around my barn and am worried about possible parasites being introduced to my property that could be harmful to my chickens or other livestock. Is this a legitimate concern? I don't want to be unfriendly.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Your concern is legitimate. The only way I would do this is if I had a place completely separate from my birds that could be sterilized afterwards.

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree that as long as you have an area you can keep these new totally seperate and wash down things could be kept to a minimum. It would be like quarantine for new birds you would add to your flock.

Enjoy BYC :frow

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Nchls school and Yorkshire coop have given you some good advice. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. paulaoops

paulaoops New Egg

Oct 15, 2015
    Thanks everyone - much appreciated! I now have a good & credible excuse to tell her no. ;-)

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I agree with the other posters as well. I would not allow any chickens near my own until I have quarantined them for a month and checked them thoroughly for parasites or other problems. There are too many highly contagious diseases, and easily passed on parasites, to take the risk. It's common sense bio-security.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree too, it is so much better to be safe than sorry. She may take it the wrong way but, a lot of people have had disasters by not quarantining new birds. Mites, or worms etc.are an aggravation but, the chances of bringing in a contagious disease are just too great to take.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It might make you feel uncomfortable to tell the neighbor no, but it would make you feel worse if you did it and your chickens got sick or you had to deal with parasites. If she's a knowledgeable poultry keeper, she should understand. Actually, if she were knowledgeable about poultry, she wouldn't have asked you in the first place. For all she knows, she would be putting her own flock at risk of catching something from yours. Just not a good idea for either of you.

9. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by