Letting peacocks roam free

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Connorsnana, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Connorsnana

Connorsnana New Egg

Jul 24, 2017
    hello there:

I have two females and one male pea fowls. I have had them in an enclosure for 9 months. I have 35 acres and was wondering if I let them out will they stay nearby? Also my neighbor down the road has a male that comes and visits - he has not been around lately due to breeding season being over. I'm hoping they won't leave but hate seeing them couped up. Any advice?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    This question is Hot today. I have read several post where people are saying they are having stray peafowl showing up at their home----even me 2 years back. I personally would Not allow it but that's your call. I do not even allow my guinea's to free range any more because if I do---I loose them to predators, mainly Hawks. If I had peafowl---I would just invest into a good size pen and that's where they would Live their life so I could Keep them.

3. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    I agree, a large pen is the more safe way to go. I stopped free ranging my birds a couple years ago and they are happy. On the off chance that one gets out it usually wants to go back in to be with the others almost immediately.

4. MontserratChick

MontserratChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Ardeche, France
    We inherited peafowl from the previous owners of our house and they have always been free range. They have occasionally wandered away to visit a neighbour if we're not home for a few days, but we put a mirror up and that seems to have kept them here. I cannot imagine cooping them up - they love roaming free. They come to the house, roam the garden, go and talk to the chickens, eat the tomatoes from the vegetable garden, even come indoors in the summer to have a look around the house. They fly high up in the trees at night and call across the valley in breeding season. Peafowl are closer to wild birds than domestic fowl, and I think they should be given the chance to be free. Ours also ensure they have a really balanced diet because they forage for insects and eat greenery - all we do is supplement with a bit of wheat that they have free access to with an automatic feeder. It's true they're more vulnerable to predators, but we've found so far that it's only at night, and mostly only if they're upset by a storm and fly down, or if a female lays eggs where you can't see and tries to sit on them and a fox finds her. Otherwise they're good at getting away from predators during the day and there aren't many who would tackle a full grown peafowl. You do also have to watch a bit more for diseases, but it's not hard when you keep an eye on their droppings, and I'd rather give them a chance at a real life with hazards than a sterile, concrete-floored pen they can't even fly in. In an ideal world I'd raise young birds to want to roost in a pen at night and free range during the day but our current ones would never stand for it!

KsKingBee likes this.
  5. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I completely agree that whenever you can you should give them a taste of the good life and let them range free as they were meant to. I keep most of mine penned but I also have a group of free rangers that enjoy the good life, I wish all could range but I am sure that 500 birds loose on the property would have dire consequences.

6. MontserratChick

MontserratChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Ardeche, France
    Woooooah - 500?! I'm guessing you do this for a living!

KsKingBee likes this.
  7. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    I only let mine free range when pens are being renovated. I don't let my Greens free range at all that'd be courting disaster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by