Letting Strangers onto the farm ?? What to do ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LMEggs, Oct 17, 2011.

1. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    Okay everyone I need opinions... The last time I had people on my farm to look at a horse I had for sale I had a 450 pound meat hog stolen from me and then after that I never had another stranger on my farm. I always meet them away from my home. I have someone wanting to see my parent Juliana Miniature pigs and I don't mind what so ever I love to show them off but I don't want them on my farm... I don't KNOW them I mean what if it happens again ?! I don't want someone to steal my little pigs one night! I've learned that there is hardly anyone you can trust... Are Videos and Pictures not enough ? Should I let a stranger on my farm to view my pigs with the risk of things being stolen or people spreading viruses and other harmful sicknesses to not just my pigs but my poultry as well ? Am I just overreacting ? what do you guys think ? Is it worth having the buyer turn me down ? I don't mind if I end up keeping these two piglets even. I have nothing to hide at all! My sow is 50 pounds my boar is 45 pounds. I wish I could let them come and look without a worry but that meat hog I had stolen was to feed my family I worked hard and had alot of time into the hog, farming is a way of life to my family our chickens and the pork and our veggies pretty much feed my family it was a heartbreak to know that not only was that hog finished and ready to be butchered then it was also worth quiet a bit of money if I had decided to sell the hog.

So am I just overreacting about this ? Or should I just let this buyer go if he decided that he didn't want my two little pigs because he couldn't see the parents ? I have lots of people waiting inline it's not that i'm worried that they might not find a home, I wish I didn't have to worry about it because really I would love to show them off they are beautiful friendly little pigs and so far no one has had any issues with this I've sent tons and tons of pictures and videos and take new videos often. Not only that but just last week my mom had her house broke into and they tore two gates down cut the chain off one with a padlock and chisled the front door lock off and got in by breaking the back door down then they stole a 32 IN flat screen TV and stole some meds. They did all of this in town even! My mom was gone for just one week and the neighbors SAW the people and the people told them they were from Wells Fargo the MORGAGE company! My mom was even paid up in her bills and all but they "Hired" these people to fix my moms roof because it was insured without approval from the home owner while she wasn't even HOME!! With this how can anyone trust anyone these days !?

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Go with your gut. Don't let them on the farm. Take very quality pictures of the parent hogs and babies. That way, they can see the parents, and also see the piglets.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I would just explain to them, "because of biosecurity issues" no one is allowed to visit.
    Works like a charm for me.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you allow them on the farm, get names, addresses, phone # and license plate # when they arrive. I would then explain that you are doing so because of past problems with theft.

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I would say a good video with YOU in it maybe holding them or at least standing by them so the people know that these are your actual pigs should be plenty enough. It would also be a good thing to maybe hold up the daily paper with the date so they can see that its not an old video...that will take all the questions out of thier minds. There is nothing wrong with you not letting them on your property for the reasons you have listed. Just explain this to the potential buyers and if they dont like your terms then they dont have to buy from you.

6. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I always try not to let the past affect the people in my future but I understand your concern. If you do allow them on the property, this is definately the way to go. Get all info that you can and be honest as to why you're doing it. Not everyone out there is a bad person but how will you know unless you find out for yourself?

7. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I never give out my addresss, phone number, or plate number to anyone! I would not ask them for that personal information, because I am 100 percent sure they will think the same thing you think of strangers coming on your farm.

They will think your some type of fraud person. Anyways, if they won't except just a video/pictures then so be it if your a seller then you should be taking the pigs to them (if you truly do not want them on your farm) and meeting them somewhere. Otherwise people will spread that you are not a worthy seller.

I am going to be honest, but you sound more like you just want to keep them then try to actually sell the last 2. We have one litter a year of piglets, I would never deny a person to see the parents or where they come from. I am sure you have nothing to hide, but turn the tables if you were the buyer and someone would not show the parents in person would you buy from them? Probably not!

I am sorry your pig got stolen, but more then likely if someone is coming to buy an animal from you they aren't theifs....sadly more then likely your pig was stolen by some passer by that saw it.

I would just look past this one incident and move on, speacially if you plan to be a good seller.

8. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    As much as I dislike strangers coming to my home, sometimes there is no option. If I was in the market for a small pig, I would not even consider one who's parents I could not see for myself, to make sure they were as small as I was told they were. Video and photos can be misleading so I would not trust that.

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have only let a few people come to my house to look at chickens. Both were either from here or another local chicken website. But I will NEVER let people from craigslist or any other place come to my house. But I see your delima. I know if I were to want mini pigs, I would definitely want to see the parents, in person. Its so hard to know who to trust.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I dont allow anyone on my farm. When I sell chickens, I always do it off farm. Always. I would do the same in your situation. If they arent satisfied with pictures, they can go somewhere else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by