1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

letting the chickens out in the winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bugkiller, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Dont know if this question belongs here or not but do you guys keep your chickens locked in the coop during very cold days or will you open the coop up and let them decide if it is too cold. Is it bad for the birds to not let them out at all for a two or three days at a time. and in the summer months when it is hot is there any need to lock them in at all could i leave the coop open 24/7??

2. sy7up

sy7up Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    hi, I posted about the same question about my chicken, and duck not liking there houses, and It was raining and cold, no one posted so I brought them both in. but will keep them tonight, wish someone would post.

3. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    My coop door will be open but the chickens seldomly go out in the winter but my geese and ducks will want to go out. [​IMG]

4. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I forgot to mention they are not free range. They are in a secure caged 4X8 run and the coop is about 12 sq feet. Only 2 chickens.

5. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    My coop door stays open year round. We have fairly mild winters here though.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Chickens have wonderfully warm feathers that overlap like scales to seal in the warmth and keep the cold and wet from penetrating down to their skin. They do just fine in cold weather and enjoy the fresh air in all seasons. I free range 365, 24/7 with the pop door open at all times....my birds decide for themselves if they want to come or go outside.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Unless it's blizzard conditions, the pop door is open.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hi darkmatter! I love how the coop is always warmer than the outside air. I could (and have) camped out in there with the ladies for a while.

9. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Quote:Chickens are like mini heat blankets...its amazing how much heat they put off.

10. Mamaboid

Mamaboid Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Muncy Valley, PA
    Mine free range during the daylight hours, but are locked up at night due to predators. I open the door in the morning no matter what the weather. There are days when I would much rather not make the trek to the coop first thing in the morning, but that is one of the sacrifices you make for the pleasure of having chickens I guess. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by