1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Letting the little girls out with the big girls?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LittlenRedHen782, May 20, 2011.

1. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    I am on my second batch of chicks [​IMG] so this is the first time I've had to worry about introducing new girls into the established flock. Right now the babies (one week old) are in a secured brooder box in the coop with the big girls (2 yr olds). They can hear each other but not see. I am just trying to figure out when they will be old enough to join the rest of the flock unsupervised in the yard? Also logistics on feed can the older girls eat the chick starter and be fine or do I need to find a way to sepate the feed until the littles ones are ready for lay crumbles? [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I don't know about the age for introductions, but I have read that when you have different ages together and some are not ready for Layer feed that you can feed them all Flock Raiser and just offer oyster shell so that the layers have it available.

3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    It's suggested that you wait until four months of age. It can be sooner but it depends on your situation. If they free range and they have lots of room to get away from the big hens if they are picking on them you might be able todo it sooner [​IMG] Also, since you already have them in the coop together, but separated you have a good start. I second what Yay Chicks! Says about the food. Good luck!

4. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    Thanks for the information. [​IMG]

5. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    We usually pen them with wire between them for a while, until they're nearly full-grown, and then let them go. Otherwise we let the mommy hen and her chickies free and when she leaves them to go back to the coop, they follow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by