Letting the little ones out?

Kristina93

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Southern California
I have 3, 9 week old hens, 3, 5 week olds, and 1, 2 week old. We had let them join one another in the coop before, but we noticed that the big girls would hog the heat lamp, even at night. So we closed them all off. But, it's been very warm here, so we took the lamp away and i let them hang out together last night.

My big girls have been free ranging in my yard, and I am very tempted to do so with my littles as well today?

What do you guys think? I'm worried about the younger ones coming it to go to bed at night.

OH... also, I clipped my big girls wings already, and should I do so with the little ones before letting them out... not the 2 week old of course....

You need to tell us where you are and what the temps are. My first thought was that your two week old isn't even feathered out yet, and needs consistent warm temps- if she is not under a hen, she should still be in a brooder. Your five week olds are all feathered out? If so, they will be ok outside if the weather is good, but I would still have that lamp available for a bit.

I should have mentioned those things. Okay... where am I???? In freaking HOT HOT temps this week. It's 11am here and it's flipping 101 out already. I miss my 70's weather we had a week ago! Sorry... now that I got that out, I"m in Southern California. We had to move their coop last night because we are building them a new one. I can't put the light on where the coop got moved to. I'm not worried about the little guy staying warm. 1... it's hot. Even at night. 2. Even with the lamp, the other 3 five week olds are very protective of our baby and they always huddle around her. It's really cute.

yes, the 5 week olds are all feathered out.. well, my frizzle looks weird and bare in spots, but that's just the way his feathers are at the moment. He's the most protective of the baby. the baby has some feathers, not all, but some and they also have a sheltered area in their coop where, if it's colder, they all go huddle together when the lamp isn't on during the day. BUt they all come out 'talking' to me as soon as i come out to see them. Looking for treats from me of course.

Back
Top Bottom