Letting them out to free range

SuQMar

Chirping
May 9, 2016
What is everyones opinion on how long does it take for your chickens to acclimate to a new home so that you can let them out to free range again?

You may want to keep new birds locked in the coop (with feed and water) for a few days so they imprint on your coop as their home. Then when you let them out they will come back to the coop at dusk, to roost for the night.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I in general keep any new birds in the coop and run for about a week to get used to where they now live. I do t have a very large garden so in general I can get them back in if they get a little lost. Here is a fab article in free ranging that isle helos you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/deciding-to-free-range-your-flock

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif
It took mine about a week to start going back in too :D

Good idea for their first foray out ranging to be timed to start about an hour before they normally go to roost.
Then they won't go too far and you can see if they readily come back to the coop.
Next days earlier and earlier until you're confident that they 'get it'.

How old are your birds?
Do you have a run?

They are 1 1/2 yrs old and right now they are in a small run (4ftW x 11ftL) with a repurposed playhouse made coop (3ft x 3 1/2ft) complete with nest box which they are using. Never stopped laying with the move.

They are 1 1/2 yrs old and right now they are in a small run (4ftW x 11ftL) with a repurposed playhouse made coop (3ft x 3 1/2ft) complete with nest box which they are using. Never stopped laying with the move.
Nice! When I move my chickens from one coop/run to another, I usually give them a week or so to adjust to where they're supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom