1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

letting your broodys keep their kids.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flip9109, Jun 24, 2008.

1. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    so i gave up trying to break my broodys after 2 weeks in a wire cage. one of my silkies just hatched 3 dutch\\serama eggs. they are still in gen-pop and i don't intend to move them. they haven't left the nest yet as they just hatched yesterday. my concern is their food. do i need to worry about the others eating their food (14 10week olds and 6 adults)?

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I can imagine some pretty major competition between the age groups and from the momma protecting her kids.

It would probably be better to separate them if you can.

3. flip9109

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    when I introduced the 14 young ones (whice I brooded in the house untill they were 8 weeks old) to the adults none of them cared, there was no fighting at all, they instantly all got along. my nestboxes, food and water are in the run and not the coop. also they freerange all day so they have plenty of room.

4. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    I would feed the adults first and in a feeder away from the nest. Then feed the mama and babies close to the nest. Giving multiple feeders breaks up a lot of competition.

5. flip9109

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    thats my plan. most of the adults are broody and the others are too young to worry about needing layer pellets so they all should be allright if the others eat the starter food right? they will also have the old feeder with layer pellets in it.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Awwww, I had a cage around my broody and her kids for a week, and then opened them up... mom takes fantastic care of her baby (one died)
    I feed a general poultry feed, and I am pretty sure its not going to kill the baby - she free-ranges with her mom - catches bugs and such like a pro and she's 4 weeks old now... fiesty little girl, her name is Molly.

Last night the little one TOOK a piece of tomato from one of the meaner girls... I was cracking up and she TOOOK off like only a young thing can! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by