1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Letting your inner cheap out

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by buc, Jun 30, 2008.

1. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Do you dare to share your best inner cheap.

Today I need to shave, so, to teach my youngest son a little about solar heating, I took the 100 ft. garden hose, charged it with water and let is sit in the sun for about 3 hours.

I then went out with a one gallon milk jug and collected one gallon of perfectly hot water, saving the propane required to heat it.

2. Mac Momma

Mac Momma Crabgrass Queen

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    OOOOHHHHHh! I love it! LUV IT!

3. Mac Momma

Mac Momma Crabgrass Queen

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    I take the hose off the washing maching during the rinse cycle to catch the rinse water for reuse on non-edible plants. but, not so much cheap as conservative! We are in a major drought.

4. buc

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    I know that there are those on this site that have better ones then the one I just shared.

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Oh, those garden hoses in the sun are great for a hot outdoor shower, too [​IMG] Good thing we live in the country [​IMG]

6. buc

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Quote:Now you are talking.

I collect the water from the central air conditioner to water all sorts of things.

7. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I bought a $8.00 solar shower at wal-mart so when the kids are done in the swimming pool, I rinse and wash them up outside. No using the hotwater in the house. The kids think it is fun to shower outside. It holds 5 gallons of water and it really goes a long way. I even had my dh out there taking a shower.

8. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    When I am waiting for the water to get hot I catch in a 2 gal. picture to water plants with. AND I have been making "sun" tea lately to keep from turning on the stove.

9. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I wash & reuse plastic sandwich bags/freezer bags, depending on what was initially in them.

10. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I tie together rubber bands when they break. Rubber bands that were re-used (we get them all the time around bundles of mail) anyway.

I also use cloth diapers (only ever bought one pack of diapers in my son's life, and that was for an 11-hour road trip!!) and use the clothesline almost exclusively. I buy bulk basics...flour, rice, beans, cheese. That's just a few things, I know there are more. But I don't know if they classify so much as "cheap", maybe more like "frugal" (and, in many cases, environmentally friendly). Tying rubber bands together....now that is just cheap!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by