Lettuce for Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Marsale, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Marsale

Marsale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Hi Ya'll, I am fairly new to chickens.
    Can someone tell me if there is such thing as too much lettuce for chickens? My chickens love it so I give then a bunch every day , I make them a Lettuce and tomato salad almost every day. Thank you in advance Maria

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    As long as they were introduced to it where their stomach got accustom to it----they would probably be ok. My chickens Love Collards and they eat a lot of leaves---they leave the bigger stems and I collect them for the rabbits as well as some collard leaves. Collards here can be grown year round.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens love salad. I've seen some people create quite an elaborate concoction of greens and BOSS and mackerel. Yum!

But you need to make sure they get the proper ration of balanced feed, too. My chickens get fresh squash and carrots most of the winter from what I store from the summer harvest. Then in summer, they get chard, lettuce, and tomatoes every day in moderation so they still eat their feed.

4. Marsale

Apr 11, 2016
    Thank you so much , yes I only feed them one big salad a day the rest of the time they eat grains.

5. Marsale

Apr 11, 2016
    Thank you so much , yes I only feed them one big salad a day the rest of the time they eat grains.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    grains or prepared feed? If all they get is salad and grains, they have a serious protein and mineral deficiency in their diets.

7. Marsale

Apr 11, 2016
    Oh sorry I had not seen this ...........yes they also eat prepared feed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by