Lettuce for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ruth Ann, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    We have found our chickens like to eat our lettuce plants. Because we have such
    hot summers we grow it in spring and fall....in pots. We keep it under a
    shadecloth area with other plants.
    Once the lettuce starts to bolt we set the pot in the run with the chickens and
    they really enjoy pecking the plant to the ground.
    I just got done starting planting seeds for our fall crop.
    I know the chickens will be happy soon.

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    You're right, they love it. I do the same with my bolted lettuce.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

4. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] Mine really like it too...especially if they find a fat worm in the midst of the lettuce heart!

5. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    I plant 2 rows of leaf lettuce in the garden for my flock....usually along the outside, it keeps them busy before they get into the good stuff!

6. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    I occasionally get a bag of headed for the dumpster lettuce from my grocery store. Depends on who is working produce the day I go in. Gives me a break from pulling grass for them once in a while. I usually pull a big handful of grass from around a fence or building in the mornings. Now that the weather has been so hot there's less left to pull. They ought to make greens in some form for chickens. Okay now, someone tell me they DO!! I can't let my girls loose during the day because we have big hawks and owls around. I think I may have them spoiled already! oops!

Carol in KS

7. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Quote:Thats a great idea! I have tried time and time again to get a garden going and right when the vegetation sets in with the flowering, there goes all my hard work! They have taken down my watermelon, canteloupe and squash vines as well as my eggplant. I sowed plenty so I could share the harvest with them, but they got a bit greedy! The only fruit they did not attack was the tomatoes, which is their favorite, I guess they want them red and ripe! Silly chickens. However, they didnt touch the corn either, so the pig decided to break her gate and plow those down. God forbid if it ever looked like a garden before!

Use to have a great connection with one of the local markets, but now the pig farmers are buying it all, so no more freebies! [​IMG]

8. CarolAnn

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    My grand plan was to use fence panels to surround the garden then get bamboo on a roll and run that around the outside as a windbreak and to keep the chickens out. We got as far as the fence before my mom was in hospital for almost a month. So between being at the hospital with her and all the rain we were having all I even got planted was my tomatoes. I can assure you that chickens will eat green tomatoes. Jump up and peck them off the vines even. I left the smallest plant for them and put wire around the other three so they're not getting to them, so easily. I thought I would plant a fall garden and put chicken wire around the whole inside to keep them out. I have a huge yard they can forage in the evenings so they're not missing anything. Now I think I'll just get my other load of mulch hauled so we can work it in and then get some other things done to be really ready to garden next spring. Hubby set the fence up so that he can open it wide at both ends to till, but I can put my chicken wire on just wired to each big panel. Feels sort of good to be planning ahead for spring. So far I have three big bags of chicken house floor shavings to add to the mix so I'll have good soil next year.

So now I'm planning ahead instead of being far behind on my garden this year. Might as well look at it from the standpoint that makes me feel good because it just didn't work out this year. Life is too short to feel otherwise.

Have a great day my fellow chicken fanciers!
    Carol

9. CarolAnn

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Chicksbestfriend, I just read your signature line. Are you supplying the whole island with eggs and chicks?? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by