1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lettuce Pictures!!!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by ChickensAreSweet, May 15, 2011.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Here is some lettuce in black nursery pots (that have drainage). I have placed the black pots within these rectangular pots from Home Depot but didn't cut holes in the bottom.

This way the deck doesn't get potting soil on it as the lettuce drains.

We go out the door and snip leaves with our scissors. No waste and fresh as can be!!!

Does anyone have beautiful pictures of their lettuce to share?

[​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    What a fantastic idea!! I don't have any pics as of now [​IMG] I just moved my garden closer to the chicken/peafowl pens this year, since I'm there most of the time anyway...you know, I thought it might encourage some weeding [​IMG] But your idea is wonderful! I may just do that

[​IMG]

3. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    [​IMG]

I am using a rusted out old stock watering tin.

1 person likes this.
  4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I just finished pulling mine up and feeding to the chickens. It is hot enough to make the lettuce bolt now. But we do get to have fresh lettuce all winter. [​IMG]

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I love the pics! This is my fave veggie! I have these and the red varieties as well.

6. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I like growing my lettuces on the deck also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

chicks4kids- I hope you can grow lettuce up close to your kitchen, because there is such a difference in our lettuce consumption.

We used to have the lettuce out in the yard. I would just say sometimes, it's too much trouble to run out there for one or two leaves of lettuce. But with it out the door, I never say that. The children love to take the scissors out there and snip away, too.

Carols Clucks- that is a simply gorgeous pic!

Baymule- Yes, we are on limited time until ours start to bolt as well. But for now it is cool and rainy still, so we are still a go.

I have some spinach seeds that I planted coming up in those same pots, so I have to hurry up and eat them when they are ready.

Have you ever tried letting them go to seed? I did one year and still have the seeds from them (heirlooom seeds). They take FOREVER to be ready to harvest the seeds, but you get so many that it is worth the garden space, IMO.

hennyannie- Yes, I have grown the red lettuce, too. I have some seeds from I think 2005 when I let it go to seed. [​IMG] I need to plant those, seriously, before they go bad.

KenK- [​IMG] Are those Romaine leaves in the second pic by the grill? Your salad-in-a-box looks wonderful!

8. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    They are Romaine, I thinned to about two dozen plants when they first came up and diligently thinned (and ate the thinnings) until I had six left with enough room to make a head. I get a lot better yield with the leaf lettuces but the Romaine is nice for a change.

I agree 100% about growing them right outside the kitchen door. I go home for lunch most days and will walk out to pick a few leaves for my sandwich. Would rarely walk out to the garden in my work clothes at lunch.

The Earthboxes are kind of pricey but I like them a lot. In the heat of the summer when the lettuce gives out I plant sweet potatoes in them. They trail off the side of the deck and make a surprising good crop. By the time they are done it's time to plant the fall lettuce.

9. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Ahhh, thinning out!!! That's why they are so large compared to mine. I have never successfully grown Romaine to maturity. It has always bolted on me when they were scruffy looking and small.

Yes, I think I will never again bother growing lettuce in the garden (unless I want to let some go to seed to collect them). It doesn't get eaten much there. I haven't heard of Earthboxes...going to google them now....

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  10. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    for the life of me I can't grow good lettuce. Just about everything else grows great here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by