level ground

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by llaaadyel, Apr 6, 2011.

1. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I know that the coop has to be level but is it ok for the run to slope a bit. I am thinking it would be better for water runoff if we get a lot of rain.

Thanks
    E

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:It all depends. Slope is ok but if you have to go out there a bunch then a steep slope probably should be terraced. Me.... I can barely do a gentle slope. Arthritis and the need for a cane most days. Id be ok with a handrail though. [​IMG]

3. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I was really thinking more of a gentle slope not something too steep. We get plenty of snow in the winter and a good amount of rain. My thought was that allowing the water and melt to drain would be better than level ground which might pool water.

Thanks
    E

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:slope is good then

5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    U might want to consider adding drainage under the coop/run. Maybe a layer of gravel??????

6. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    All the advice I've read on coop placement strongly suggests a gentle slope. And that's exactly where I placed mine.

7. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Slopes are great; even a pretty steep slope is fine for the chickens (harder for us and fencing though) [​IMG]

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Level runs = mud pits. By all means, use the slope. I went out and checked our run space during the last series of flooding rains. Damp but no standing water or riverlets running through. I wanted to dance and squeal because it's a huge problem here with our clay soil and I wasn't sure the area had enough of a slope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by