LF Advice: Chick Vent Injury Treatment (*pics*)

AlderCreekAK

Chirping
Apr 27, 2020
Interior Alaska
Hi All,
I am a new member and happy to have found this community to help ease into our first flock. We’ve had our chicks for about 2.5 weeks, and I’m seeking advice for a little RIR with a vent injury. I’ve tried a few different things, including gently rinsing with warm water and a dab of coconut oil. At first she seemed to have trouble pooping (loud peeping), but she doesn’t appear to be constipated. Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to help her healing along? She’s had the injury for about three days now. The pics are from today! She looks otherwise happy and cheerful. I’ve got my eye on her, for sure! Thanks so much for your help!

2A9F9E51-4C70-4C9E-BDEA-D52023D5D8C7.jpeg
53EE31ED-D90E-41EA-AE09-E55CCA105CFC.jpeg

I just wanted to write an update in case someone in the future has this same issue and finds this thread! I first tried coconut oil- I'm not sure if that helped at all! The woman at my feed store recommended sugar and we tried that last night! I added a little bit of warm water. There is still a scab there and the swelling seems to have gone down! I'll repeat the treatment tonight and be sure to update :D

Back
Top Bottom