1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LF Chocolate Brown Colored Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tony, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    This is one of my orpington hens, her sister is solid black. I hatched these last year. She`s chocolate brown colored, I`m NOT saying she is a chocolate orp, just colored like one. She is large fowl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PLEASE pardon the mud, it was raining all day. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Are you serious? Genetic people please comment on this! [​IMG]

3. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    It is my understanding that chocolate orps came from a genetic "mutation" so to say. What I mean by this is that black orps were not bred to another type of chocolate bird to make chocolate orps, but that it just popped up into a line of black orpingtons. I would say that you my friend might have a chocolate orpington. How much you asking for her [​IMG]

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Chocolate is sex linked recessive. It was originally found by Dr Clive Carefoot in a line of Back Orpingtons. It has been previously reported in the US, but unfortunately the breeder culled it out as it was not in accordance with the APA Standard.
    To test if you have sex linked recessive Chocolate mate this bird to it's father, if you have this gene ½ your chicks will be Chocolate.
    If you no longer have the father you will need to mate her to Black Orp, and then mate her to a resulting son. If you have the gene ½ your chicks from this latter mating will be Chocolate.
    David

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    And/or mate a son with a black orp.. if all chocolates from this are pullets.... (along black pullets and all black cockerels)

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do what they say....

you could develop a line here... and make some money with hatching eggs!!!

7. Tony

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Unfortunately I no longer have her father, I do however have a black roo. So I will definately give it a try. Thanks everyone.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    By looking at her dad, I would presume that the bird in question has alot of red leakage and this is not chocolate.

9. Tony

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thats not her dad. Dad was blue.

10. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that her brother shows what's truly going on here, like peeps said.. blue with a LOT of red leakage, her more than him for sure.

She's still lovely to look at [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by