LF Cochin cockeral or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BorderBrigade, Mar 17, 2013.

1. BorderBrigade

BorderBrigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    Good evening, this black chick is now six weeks old and is my chick to hatch out of my LF Cochins. I was testing the fertility of the white cockeral I purchased from Jaime Matt's to my hens before I did a big hatch this spring. Well he is fertile all right:) it's been a year since my girls were chicks but I am remembering by six weeks the cockerals had pronounced combs, wattles and noticeable hackle and saddle feathers coming in. Anyone want to back me up on my thinking this is a pullet...it definetly has tons of leg and foot feathering which I am pleased improved over my pullets breeding them to this cockeral. Thanks!

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I have cochins and let me just say that is one pretty bird you have there! these guys have always been the hardest for me to sex. Once I was convinced one was a rooster but then POP...out came an egg! But yours is actually looking pretty girly right now!

1 person likes this.
  3. BorderBrigade

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    Glad to hear you think its a pullet too:) I was beginning to think i was losing my mind:) If your interested in hatching eggs or chicks i have both. I can send you pics of my hens and cockeral. He is georgeous!

4. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Appreciate the offer but I live down in S.C. I'd love to see pics though. Like I said you seem to have a nice stock. Very fluffy butts and that is what I look for!

5. BorderBrigade

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    Thanks so much. I have another hatch coming out April 20th. Just let me know if your intersted as i have shipped chicks with good luck or eggs.

Cockeral-
    [​IMG]

Hens-
    [​IMG]

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I will certainly let you know! Absolutely gorgeous stock. All very fluffy and is that hen blue?!

7. BorderBrigade

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    Great! Yes i have four blue hens, three buff, and 1 black. The black chick showed in my first post is out of that blue hen and the white cockeral. All of my blue hens are a great deep blue color with lacing except one which is more of a slate blue but still georgeous. I pride myself on only keeping the best ones. Sorry about the white paint on the black hen in the back she rubbed up against the barn door i was painting.

8. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Ya know if you hold on just a second, I was talking to some one the other day that was looking for blue cochins and someone that would ship them. If you're interested I can try to find and give his profile name! He is on BYC!!! Are they full size or bantam?

9. BorderBrigade

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    Sure thing. All my birds are large fowl.

10. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Yay I'm so glad I actually found it!! His name was hotboycjj

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by