LF silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nikki816, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Nikki816

Nikki816 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    New Holland, Ohio
    Is anyone working on LF silkies?
    I would love to have some, but not sure how to go about making them. I would love to breed my silkie roo to some standard Cochin hens, but not sure how well that would work.Anyone out there with ideas?

2. bluenkimchi

bluenkimchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Not working or have any idea how to make LF silkie. I have posted this on a couple of threads about LF silkies already, but just in case you might like to see them anyway [​IMG]

Young pullet with mature beradless and tuftlesss bantam hen
    [​IMG]

same pair from above pic
    [​IMG]

Young cockerel with light brahma roo
    [​IMG]

The same pullet from the first picture with an EE roo
    [​IMG]

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:This is how I would procede and create Large F Silkies... Cross the largest Silkie rooster you have, to a Welsummer Hen, the welsummer have just about every gene recessive and wildtype(except Id sexlinked dermal inhibitor) this cross will produce a Larger than Silkie Black Skin F1 pullets and white/clear skin Males, you can use the Largest F1 female back to the largest Silkie rooster you have, this will create 50% silkie feathered birds that will look alot like silkies, with black skin, silkie feathers, walnut combs and feathered shanks..this birds should be larger than original silkies

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    haha stuck in the mind set of crossing to wild type, eh?

I think if a general silkie body type is desired, just much bigger, giant cochins would be a good outcross? Not a perfect match however I think cochins have the pluses of short tail, roundish body, very long and soft feathers- probably make it easier to get the "soft silkie fluffiness" back. I would worry the welsumer cross would cause feather quality problems for generations.

also if white is desired, there are white giant cochins.. or use blacks to hopefully prevent red/buff leakage problems.

1 person likes this.
  5. bluenkimchi

bluenkimchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    you are correct, a partridge cochin would be best..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by