LF Split Lavender Cockerel on eggbid

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by hinkjc, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's your chance to get the lavender gene for working on your own project what ever that may be...

He is up for auction AT eggbid
    http://www.eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1215223088

He could be used for any large/breed fowl that you would like to make a lavender out of.
    Jersey Giants, Cochins, Rocks, Australorps, Orps, Marans etc Any breed you wish..all you need is time and an effort..

[​IMG]

Charlie

3. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I am extremely interested in the Lav. Orps. Can you explain what he is capable of doing when used? What color of Orp hen is recommended he be used on and what can be expected with the first cross?
    I currently have splash, blue, black and buff hens.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] Lower 48 only??? ... [​IMG]

5. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Unless bred to a lavender, Nothing. You would need to breed to something with the lav gene.

6. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Quote:So he needs a lav hen, or a split lav hen? By himself, he woudn't do me any good? [​IMG]

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    you would need to cross him on several blacks, as many as you could get your hands on. Only half of his babies will inherit the lavender gene from him. Half of those will be roos, so statistically one fourth of the babies will be pullets split to lavender. You won't know by looking. You will have to keep all the pullet babies, cross your fingers, cross them back on the split lavender cockerel from ebay, their daddy. Of those crosses you will be getting approximately one quarter lavender, three quarters black "unknown splits", with two thirds of the blacks carrying lavender essentially leaving you guessing all generations after that with the black birds until you cross back onto a visual lavender.

8. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks Patty for posting that. Essentially you are only getting something capable of a very dilute lav gene when crossed to blacks. Eventually you need to cross to a lav to produce lav.

Edited to add. Now if they want to auction a pullet as well. That would be something to consider.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  9. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Patty your inbox is full.

10. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thank you for the explanations. That's why I asked before thinking of bidding. I think I'll wait for lav eggs, or actual lav birds to be offered for sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by