LF Tolbunt

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by austin.ray22, Jul 16, 2010.

1. austin.ray22

austin.ray22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    How would one go about starting a Tolbunt project with a LF bird?

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    There already are LF Tollbunt Polish. [​IMG]

3. austin.ray22

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    Yes I have seen the polish before but am not familiar with them. I actually thought those were bantams. I actually was thinking Orps or Wyandotte

4. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Gold Laced x Mottled
    Cross the f1 together
    Hatch as many as possible 100 plus would be ideal and if your lucky one or two will be gold laced mottled.
    Cross these Gold Laced Mottled back over Gold laced or if you get a pair you can cross them together.
    Cross the f1 of Gold LacedxTolbunt and some should be both gold laced and mottled with much better lacing.

If you were working with Wyandotte then I would use a Mottled Orpington (for size), all the other mottled large fowl I can think of are Mediterranean and it will be harder to get back the Wyandotte type. A large fowl mottled cochin could work also, feathered legs are surprisingly easy to breed out. There will be a whole lot of culls and this will take a number of years. There could be some interesting new colors that pop out though.

5. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    although it can be done using mottled the amount of chicks you will have to hatch will be enormous using a mille fleur over gold laced will get to the color a lot easier. Even if introduced from another breed I personally think it would be easier to get the type back than try to figure out which chicks would carry the right genes to make the pattern when using the mottled approach.

6. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was under the impression Tolbunt is mottled laced not mille fleur laced.
    The hobby name is Tolbunt, it is fairly common in Europe.
    Genetically it is a Mottled Gold Laced bird. eb/eb Co/Co Ml/M/ Pg/Pg mo/mo
    Many people mix it up with the Mille Fleur which is similar but not the same.
    Crossing to Mille Fleur creates major problems.

But I do not have any experience with Tolbunt, I do know that it is still a random hodge podge of colors in each bird.

Here's the article I was looking for. I was wrong, it appears to be mille fleur laced. The recipe is on the link. [​IMG]

http://chickencolours.com/pagina11.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. austin.ray22

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    But what do you recommend for the mille fleur in LF?

8. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    That's the fun part!!! I'm not sure where you'd find a mille fleur LF breed that would be an easy introduction with wyandottes. There are MF Leghorns but body type will suffer greatly as well as size, but once you have the tolbunt color you breed back to the gold laced to gaet size and type back. It can be done but as with any project like this it takes time and patience and an eye for what you are working towards.

9. austin.ray22

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    It might be a project too troublesome to undertake. Just trying to think of something new to re-energize my attitude toward chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by