LF VS Bantams

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Harli50, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    I have 11 Large foul chickens. 2 of which a roosters. I also have one OEGB rooster they're all about 7-8 months old. we ordered 6 bantam chicks to come this march 27th and are wondering if it will be okay if we put the chicks (when older, around 1-2 months) in with the older, larger birds....will it cause problems?? the chicks we have ordered are
    • 2 silkies (1back 1 white)
    • 2 sebrights (1 silver 1 gold) sebrights are very sensitive :( big worry here putting them with others...
    • 1 EE bantam
    • and 1 barred rock bantam

Thanks in advance,
    Harli

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'd do the "integration/segregation" method of putting the chicks in a grow-out coop & pen at 8 weeks or so, either next to or inside the regular run. They have their own feeder and waterer. They can see, hear, smell and sometimes peck at each other through the barrier, but nobody mingles and nobody gets injured. I just put a temporary fence chicken wire and garden posts, and when it's time to let them mingle, I take down the temporary fence.

This intermingling occurs around week 12 to 16. Keep the separate feeder and waterer in operation, so the older birds can't block the chicks from eating or drinking.

I've found the bantams really do very well because they are quicker, can fly (except for the silkies) up out of other birds' way, and experts at sneaking in between two big birds to snatch a treat out from under their beaks!

3. Harli50

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks for the reply just some questions...wont they be to small at the 8-10 week old time to go outside with the older birds??? and will our andalusion and sex-link roos hurt them???

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've kept banties and LF together (don't have any bantams at the moment though.) I never had a problem with the little ones getting picked on. I, however, did have a problem with my huge EE roo trying to mate the little girls- I had Silkies and EEs. The little EE girls were great fliers, so they would just fly away from him. The Silkies didn't have that luxury and couldn't get away from him, so I ended up having to cull him. So, that might be something to keep an eye on. Good luck!

5. Harli50

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    ok thats what i was wondering.... ill keep an eye on him when it gets to that point

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by