LG 9300 first time go

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BertandMary, Mar 10, 2016.

1. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    We've done enough reading and studying about still air incubation, with this unit, to be confidently confused and joyfully filled with doubt. Doing the dry run today and making adjustments tomorrow with a new hydrometer and thermometer. We get our Barred Rock eggs Saturday morning from the hatchery, and they will go in that evening or the following morning. Photos and comments will follow the process from initial setting to hatch. We are only doing a dozen for a fist run and fist time using an incubator.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    HI!!! Good luk on your hatch. I don't know if you've come across the info or not, but the 9300 is notorious for the temps being off. Most people have to set it 1-3 degrees higher to get it right, so best thing is to have at least another (or 2) thermometers in the bator to double check. And I strongly recommend a low humidity incubation method rather than the suggestions in the bator manuals.

1 person likes this.
  3. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    I did read a lot of the threads. Yes, there will be more than one thermometer in use. I will post a photo up tonight or tomorrow. Trying to ensure temps hold well in its current location. So far it seems to be doing well. Less than 1 degree of fluctuating after heated up and since I plugged it in a few hours ago. Will take the advice on lower humidity method. Tracking the air bubble should give me a good idea on raising and lowering the humidity.thanks

1 person likes this.
  4. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] after 2 minutes, I know this thermometer is reading 1.4 degrees low. While submitting this it dropped another .2 degrees so now it is reading 1.6 degrees lower than the actual temp. That is good to know for my future math problems. Will show a comparrison between this and the LG 9300 later in the day. I also have to check the hydrometer.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  5. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] here is where it stabilized after about 5 minutes.

6. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] this is how I will compare the two temp readings. I turned the LG on and then put the other thermometer's sensor within an inch of the LG's sensor. They are at the exact same height and near each other. Heat rises so that should make them measure the same air temp. One can see the two sensors inside the window. The LG digital and my store bought digital are next to each other in the photo. I will take another photo in a couple of hours as the temp stabilizes inside the unit. Should I get another regular non digital thermometer too? I ask, because if you have read this far, you probably give a darn about what the newbie is trying to do.

7. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] the LG is close to calibration, just.1 off when I add the 1.6 to the calibrated one. Not bad. Had to bump the heater setting up too 100 to get it to this temp. Of course, it has to be higher in a still air incubator. Will get that adjusted too. Will get another thermometer in there and recheck before setting eggs. Got to get temp right and had to edit this from earlier when I was doing bad math.I must be suffering from some form of test anxiety as I prepare us for our first setting.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL. Many of us enjoy helping other's especially newbies and especially if we can help to keep them from loosing a hatch.
    Having a glass/non digital thermometer s always a good idea. Plus if you have a therm like the accurite digital you can ice test the glass thermometer to compare with all other digitals.

9. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    thank you. It shall be done.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Just about everyone I know (that has figured out how to maintain temps in the 9300) has had to adjust the incubator's therm 2-3 degrees higher for the temps to actually be accurate inside. True story.
    My first hatch I bought a brand new thermometer for the 9200 I was using and never checked it. I thought it was holding steady at 99-100 the whole incubation. At lockdown I had 17 eggs just a moving and wiggling. I thought they looked behind, but I was hoping it was just my inexperience. I ended up with one hatcher/survivor at day 24 and one that died at day 25. Someone told me to check my thermometer. It was 6 degrees off!!! So in reality I was incubating at 93-94 degrees the whole time! So dissapointing! That is my drive to help people. I want to do all I can to keep others from experienceing that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by