LG as hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmc, Dec 18, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    want to keep my brinseas for the first 18 days.........

already use a hova as hatcher...........

wondering about adding an LG as second hatcher---maybe still air

anyone use?

thoughts?

tx!

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have an LG that I use for incubating as its forced air and have used a hovabator for hatching thats a still air. But I only do that if I have a staggard hatch.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Personaly and this is just my oppinion...................... but I wouldn't use an LG for anything involving hatching eggs of any kind. The consense is 90% hate them and 10% just get lucky, do yourself a favor and try to find another choice, I know your looking at the cheap cost of the LG and that's why so many have them, but you will kill more eggs than you hatch from them and that is not worth the mere few bucks you save by owning one. Sorry ..........but it's the truth just trying to save you several wasted trips to the what's wrong with my LG thread LOL. In the end do what you feel is best for you regardless, good luck to you.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I'm also looking for a cheap solution to use as a hatcher. Haven't found one yet.

I currently use my Hovabator 1588 as my incubator and am looking for another forced-air "inexpensive" incubator to use as a hatcher as well as incubator if needed.

[​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:I have no use whatsoever for an LG bator. I had one once, temp spike to 110 overnight, 36 eggs dead. I renamed it the "Murder-bator" and quickly culled it!

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I have no use whatsoever for an LG bator. I had one once, temp spike to 110 overnight, 36 eggs dead. I renamed it the "Murder-bator" and quickly culled it!

I sure do hear you on that............... but they sell 40 bazillion of them a year. If more folks would just do the buy American thing, LG is made in China, but to so many good people this doesn't matter, cheap matters !!!. Oh well what can you do, except help guide them to a better solution.

7. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thanks, al and others.

not surprised at replies, really.

that's why i am a 'brinsea man'!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by