LG bator still air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moodene, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Moodene

Moodene Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    I was called last nite and was asked if I wanted a LG bator still air to use as a hatcher for the last 3 days of the hatching period? She says it works..There are no egg turner coming with it. I don't know anything about this kind of bator..Can this work as a hatcher? ..I know my Hovabator force air does..But told her to bring it to me anyway..[​IMG]

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Those make fairly good hatchers. Make sure you check it out and that the temperature is stable before you add eggs. The LG is much like the HovaBator, possibly a bit shorter but on the same principal. You of course will not need the turner during the last three days. If it was me and your HovaBator has a fan, I would not use the still air for the last three days. JMHO. The fan helps to dry out the chicks and keep the cold/hot spots in the incubator evened out.

3. Hellvagirl

Hellvagirl Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ellijay,GA
    We use 2 of the LG still air bators for incubating & hatching,dont see why you couldnt use it.Just be sure to get your temp adjusted before putting the eggs in.

4. Moodene

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    Thanks, in the room where they will be is staying around 99 degrees since I have my other bator and fishtank hatcher in there. So I am just going to play with this bator today to see what readings I get while in that room...

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Put 2 full water bottles in it. It will help stabilize the temps a LOT and
    will also reduce hot and cold spots.

Put in the bottles and give it at least 4 hours before adjusting the temp.

Keep in mind the LG thermostat is super sensative.

6. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Also, pay special attention to your humidity during the hatch period. It has been my experience that the LG still air can be very difficult to maintain higher humidity required for the hatch. Extra sponges or wicking material usually cures it.

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Very good point!!!

Keep the bator closed! Opening a styro bator during a hatching will ruin
    your hatch. Trust me. I've done it. [​IMG]

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

DITTO Purple chicken!!! I did the same thing, had half the batch hatch ....thought I was doing a good thing by getting the egg shells out and I think I killed the rest of the hatch by doing that. KEEP THAT BATOR SHUT!!!

9. Moodene

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    LOL.Thanks for the tips. I dont even open my Hovabator at all..I use a syring tube to put water in it thru the vent holes..

10. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    Congratulations on the LG I just bought a LG 9200 from Tractor Supply yesterday and it maintained a Temp of 101 all night and a humidity of 35%. So today I went ahead and placed 5 eggs in it this will be my first attempt at hatching. I will be hand turning so I marked them with the ol' X and O cant wait to see what I get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by