LG bator

If at all possible, I would find a broody hen(s). I had much better success under a hen (7/9 viable eggs) versus 0/9viable eggs in the incubator. I use 2 Hovabators with normal chicken size egg turners, and have good success (>75%) with chicken and guineas eggs (both home and shipped). Next year, I'm not going to even try the incubator, just hens only (at least that's my justification for hatching some silkes this summer). Good luck!

I did a few in my LG and was not happy with the results but everyone's bator is different. Based on what I've resulted with, I use only my Brinsea's now. Hand turning is best with peahen eggs or at if auto turned with one that would allow them to be on their sides, not up and down like most turners use.

Most peahens are almost done laying for the year now. A lot of males have already dropped their trains too.

I'm sure many more knowledgeable pea folks will chime in, this group is a wealth of information!
thumbsup.gif

What color are you looking for?

I hatched mine in a hovabater incubator with the standard turner... I ordered 8 eggs the first time, 4 were scrambled from shipping (wouldn't have made it under a broody or in an incubator). The remaining four developed all the way to hatch, and then 2 of them died for no reason I can discern.

I ordered a second batch of 8 (9 arrived), and made the mistake of letting them sit still overnight to settle in a cool place instead of putting them right into the incubator. They had started incubation on the trip to my house. Three of them are still going, however. I cracked the other six, saw started bullseyes, and have no doubts that most if not all of them would have started growing just fine if I'd stuck them into the incubator when they got here *kicks self*

Long story short- yes, it is *possible*.

As for the eggs... like someone said, the hens are at the end of their laying cycle. You'd do best to wait until spring anyway- from what I understand, the fertility of the eggs drops off when the males lose their trains and the females start saying no to them, but still lay eggs.

Last edited:
throw all the LG's away, they never work well for me, I tried them and cant even hatch chicken eggs in them. Hovabators and sportsmans will hatch any thing I put in them.
Here's one thing I've learned over the years though, do not use turners on stuff like this. Peafowl, turkeys, waterfowl, and such, all seem to do much better for me laid flat, on thier isdes in a natural manner, and hand turned 2-3 times a day than they do stood up in turners. Not sure what it is about them, but they dont hatch well in my larger Sportsman incubators either, but laid down in Hovabators they all do great, may want to try that next time.
As for eggs now, good luck with that, most all peafowl are done for the year, need to try next spring around March- June.
If you do though, use a Hovabaotor and no turner, you'll do much better

I use a few type of incubators, peafowl seem to hatch better for me on their side. In sportsman i use the auto turner and also hand turn two times aday. Still lay them on their side in the turner tray.

Lot of peafowl breeders place eggs under a hen first week.(I do also) Myself I wouldn't even try a LG for peafowl,turkey,or geese eggs.

Never understood people paying more for 6 peafowl egg, than the incubator they try to hatch them in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom