LG hatching humidity and ventilation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoodyChicken, Apr 3, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    So I'm getting my LG ready to hatch some 19 day old eggs. I just put the water in and I'm waiting for the temp to stay steady for a few hours before I put the eggs in. But my question is, I want to try to keep the humidity around 60% at this point, correct? And on top of the LG, there are two red plugs, am I supposed to remove one or both of those during the hatching phase? The babies are getting very wiggly in their eggs... I think it's only a matter of time till they pip! [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I would say between 60-70% humidity no lower no higher, I have one plug out but when there are babies in there you may want to pull out two. but I am shure someone will know more. I havent had a lot of luck getting humidity up in my LG so make shure you have a clean sponge and a way to get water to the wells and the sponge without opening it.
    Good luck

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Thanks! Got the humidity at 63%, I can make it more if they need it. But my temp's being all weird on me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by