LG humidity issues- hatching help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicktastic, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am having trouble keeping my humidity right for hatching. I have pipping but the membranes are white and hard. My humidity is running at 45 unless I put hot water in. I dont want to ruin my hatch by opening the 'bator to deliver hot water all the time.

I have a LG.

Help!![​IMG]

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Try using a water wick. You can make one out of just about anything. Mine is an old sock. It has one end in the water tray (cup) and is just laying out on the wire in the bottom of the bator. The water wicks up the sock and more surface area means more humidity. Can you also run a humidifier in the room. My bator is on the bathroom floor. I have a humidifier in there and a thermo/hygrometer on the counter and it fluctuates between 50-63 or so. I can also run the shower on hot if I need to. The water wick is probably your best bet though.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Try soaking a sponge and setting it in there to get the humidity up. You really want the Humidity to be 70% - 75 %. I did this with my LG and had OK hatches. I hate the LG. I just got a Hova-bator Genesis and I am excited about trying it out. I just got tired of bad hatched with the LG.

Good Luck

4. NateDomRIR

NateDomRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    McKinney, Texas
    I'm hatching in my LG with no problems, still air, just put water in all 3 reservoirs. I just took 5 chicks out of it a couple of hours ago. No problems.

Nate

5. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I put 2 drinking straws together and put them through one of the vent holes on top to add water without opening it up. I think a wet sponge (new) or clean wash cloth is going to be your best bet to get and keep humidity up. Try to put them were it will be easy and quick to rewet them. If you can do the straws put the sponge/cloth so they will be under a vent hole.
    Good Luck!

6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    keep the red plugs in the bator on top too... I use the sponges and that works great.

7. Chicktastic

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    We have 12 chicks! Last night I added more water via straw. THANKS!!

The humidity was still low at 50%. So we quickly snatched the 12 chicks out and added a sponge. We have more pipping and the humidity has gotten to 65%. I am so happy!!

Thank you all for the help and support. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  8. Chicktastic

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    One more question: I thought that you needed extra ventilation and so I took the red plugs out. Should they be in? Will that suffocate the chicks?

9. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

if you are watching the hatch, you can tell if they are not getting enough air. you could remove one plug and leave one in.

And congrats on getting the humidity up so quickly! Good job! pat pat on the back

10. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I keep the plugs out. I also keep a sponge under each of those 2 vents and wet them about every 4 hours by inserting the tip of a syringe through the hole and squirting in about an ounce of warm water onto each sponge. That generally keeps my humidity in the high 60s and the actual hatch raises it into the 70s. During the summer when the house AC system is running, I usually have to add a room cool-air humidifier, though.

HTH

Rusty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by