LG incubator help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willowcol, Nov 12, 2008.

1. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    My husband brought home a LG incubator and turner from a guy at work for me to try. It has no instructions, he got it used so he has no idea how it works. I have just a few questions:
    1. are the air holes just the little tiny ones on the underside and top, or are you suppose to open others?
    2. I turned it on and got it up to the right temp. but it has a very funny odor, can odors hurt your hatch? I did soak it in the tub after id unhooked the heat element and removed all electrical stuff, then put it back together.)
    3. Does the motor on the turner get hot, or maybe its just the incubator temp. that makes it feel very hot to me? (just am afraid it might be bad as it seems pretty hot.)
    4. How much water do you add for humidity, I put just a little and it jumped to 65%?

Thanks for the help, I am kinda scared to put my eggs in the incubator since the cooler bator I made seem to work but have a staggered hatch about to happen so I figured I would try this out.

2. renatpreschool

renatpreschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    1. Both. There are lots of little tiny air holes, but at the end of the hatch, you'll want to pop the ones covered by red plugs on the top open.

2. I'd let it sit out in the sun for awhile if you have the time, to try to ditch the smell.

3. The turner motor gets VERY hot. It's important to run the turner when you get your temps right because it'll throw them off if you just turn it on when you have eggs in the bator [​IMG]

4. I live in FL, where it's naturally ridiculously humid, so I didn't have to add much water at all. None at the beginning and just a few teaspoons thereafter. It just depends on the humidity where you are. You might also want to make sure your hygrometer is right.

It's pretty plug-in-and-go, the main thing you have to worry about is getting your temp and humidity set. [​IMG]

3. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Thanks, the plugs on the top, is there 2 of them? they must have lost them and there is extra foam just stuck in the holes. So that should stay in til day 18 then pop it out?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You could always use the LG as a hatcher, if your bator is working OK. At least for this hatch!

5. renatpreschool

renatpreschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Quote:Yep, you've got it [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That's the idea. I leave mine out all the time. It makes it easier to figure oout how much water to add for the hatch.

7. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Thanks so much, I will go try bleach water to stop the smell (almost smells like mouse pee, maybe it was stored in the shed and a mouse had started living in it.lol)
    I really really thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by