LG Incubator remodel! PICS added end of pg 1!

lemurchaser

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Corvallis, OR
So I have a Little Giant still air incubator. I've put together a fan (computer fan and cell phone cord). And I've added a power break thermostat. This is what I have a question about.

This thermostat will shut off the power (right now at 102-103 degrees), and it turns back on at 85-90 degrees. So if the temps try to spike it will cycle between 85-103 every 15 minutes, until I find it. What would you try to have the upper limit as? I know the temp fluctuations like this won't be good for the eggs, but I figure it is better than a high spike. And since the eggs are fluid filled, they won't actually fluctuate that much. I figure the eggs will sit at around 95 degrees until I rescue them.

Also how do I position the fan? Can it blow on the eggs?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I agree with Rebel, fan up. But the temp differance is WAY to much. Try to get it stable at 100. On at 98.5, off at 101 degree. Even then the spike may affect the eggs. A spike of 18 degrees every 15 minutes can't be good for the eggs.

Well it would only do that in the case of a major temperature variation. I have the regular controls on it too, so the temp is holding steady at 99.8 right now. The shut off thermostat is only to prevent a spike higher than 103. In my past incubations temps start to vary more as the chicks are maturing and I've had a few high spikes. I check the temp ALL the time, even wake up in the night to check it, but I still tend to get a major spike once or twice in an incubation. I can set it higher, but I figure having it hold steady at anything higher than 102 is even worse for the eggs. Am I wrong?

Quote:
huh.... never thought about turning the fan facing upwards. I've had a pc fan in my LG for a few years now, but quit using that bator some time ago. I kept getting dry hatches. Might have to try it the other way....

I've mounted the fan blowing up, I like it. It seems to move the air without major drafts. It is over one of the big ventilation holes though, and if I open that, the temp and humidity drop like a rock (makes sense, I'm literally pumping the air out). Would you make another large pluggable ventilation hole elsewhere? It's a LG, so it has little ventilation holes all over the top and bottom, but I now only have one hole with a plug to open or close to tweak humidity.

So I've been doing some major modification to my LG still air incubator. Thanks to all the BYC'ers that helped me out:

1st added a computer fan on a cell phone cord

2nd added a hot water heater thermostat, mounted backwards as an emergency shut-off for temperature spikes. It shuts off at around 102, turns on again at 85-90, and the water wiggler stays at about 95-97 until I re-adjust the system. Learned about this from MissPrissy 's post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8510

3rd
mounted fan on the roof, blowing up (towards the roof, so none of the eggs will have a strong draft). It's hung on with zip ties so there is space between the roof and the fan. Thanks rebelcowboysnb and Junkmanme! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280886&p=2

4th
got the idea from Intheswamp to mount my water wiggler to the side, poke a hole in the syrofoam, so I can take the temperature with a rectal thermometer (added some vaseline to lubricate the wiggler). Thermometer goes in an out super smoothly. Oh, and I put a piece of tape at the opposite end of the water wiggler, so it stopped slipping when poked. By the way, its really hard not to sound dirty while I describe this to people.

5th calibrated my hygrometer, and it's good. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=151621

6th
Intheswamp suggested making the temp adjust knob bigger, to allow for finer tuning. So I super glued a large washer onto the knob. It really does make a difference! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=281325&p=2

7th
and 8th On their way... a more accurate thermometer and an automatic egg turner

Water wiggler, tape on one end, lube in the other. Thermometer through the hole in the incubator.
IMG_1989.jpg

How its actually set up... Thermometer can easily be inserted and removed between readings.
IMG_1994.jpg

From the outside, you can see the thermometer, the washer that's glued onto the temp knob to make finer adjustments, and the orange zip ties holding the fan up.
IMG_1997.jpg

My various modifications, extra thermostat, fan, thermometer...
IMG_1996.jpg

I should add that the eggs don't arrive for 4 more days... what am I going to do with myself during that time? Let alone survive the endless days once there are eggs in there!

Last edited:
Sounds like you're getting your LG ready to hatch some chicks!
smile.png

I won't comment on the water wiggler situation.
171.gif

4 days till eggs arrive, eh? Have you thought how many hours that is? Minutes??? (I couldn't resist...the meaness in me.
big_smile.png
)

Best wishes,
Ed

Oops figured out that using vaseline in the water wiggler causes it to rupture. I just found that out the hard way. I'll have to try a water based product instead. It's a good thing I bought 3 water wigglers.

Back
Top Bottom