LG Incubator temperature

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LunarRayne, Jul 6, 2011.

1. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    So we added some water to the incubator and some water got on the thermometer. Now it is reading a few degrees lower than it was before. We are trying to figure out if it is because the thermometer is wet or because the temp is actually wrong. I took a thermometer I have for my kids and put it in the water and it is reading 93.5* F. Remember this is at the bottom of the incubator. It is a still air. The thermometer has been reading 99.5* to 102* and at the hot part of the day it spiked to 104*, but we fixed that quickly. Should I be worried, or should I give it more time. It has been almost 2 hours. The thermometer it came with is sitting on the wire rack and is lower than the eggs. It is currently reading around 96*

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Can you dry off the thermometer at all? If it is electric and hard to dry, take out the batteries and put it in a container with some uncooked rice to soak up the moisture. I would put the thermometer that came with it on top of the eggs for now if you can. It should sit right on top if the plastic is still attached.

3. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    I found that when I add room temp water or cool tap water ...the LG temp drops a few degrees and takes awhile to get back to set temp...I also made the mistake of turning the knob when I saw the temp drop and before I can get back to check it...temps rose to 104! Now, I add warm water...and temp fluctuations are not as bad...plus...I don't touch the knob ever when I see temp variations after adding water!! [​IMG]

4. LunarRayne

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I tried to explain this to my hubby, but he did not want to listen. He insisted that it was warm water and he had heated in the microwave. He had the bator open for a while, as we were candling at the same time. He started to turn the knob and had several spikes. He is sure it is because I candled and not because he added the water. The one it came with is the only one we had in there and it got wet. I am pretty sure that was one of the problems. I found a take your temperature thermometer and put it in the water at the bottom of the incubator. It was 93* which means he did not heat the water very much. SO I will have him test the water with that thermometer next time he goes to add water... I just hope he does not do it while I am at work.... He has a tendency to be a pain, lol!

Thank you for the replies. I think we have finally gotten it stable. On top of the eggs it is reading 101* and has been for at least the last hour (When I started to watch temperature changes).

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    If a thermometer gets wet it changes from being a dry thermometer reading (which s/b 99.5 for chickens in a LG still air) to a wet thermometer reading which is LESS. Dry off the thermometer.Temps can change due to warm air escaping when lid is opened and if water cooler than 99 degrees is added to reservours.(sorry about spelling)

Do not readjust the knob once set.

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    I always add just luke warm facet water and not touch thermostat it should level out. good vibes:fl
    hope you have a good hatch!

7. LunarRayne

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks! The temp has been stable all day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by