1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LG people - Wish me luck!!! We're off....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jayers, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Jayers

Jayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    NE Illinois
    I'm off to a shaky start on my first batch of eggs, I'm very thankful for this forum and all the people who contribute!

Here 's the update:
    :eek:-The box of eggs arrived three days too early, I had to scramble to find a cool enough spot to store them and set up the incubator.
    [​IMG]-LG Incubator was set up, achieved a nice steady temp of 99.9 deg and popped the eggs in.
    :eek:-Checked this morning, the temp was up to 101-102deg, cursing, I've fussed with it all morning and got the temp back to 99ish. SOUND FAMILIAR??
    I feel for all the other LG people, but since I am borrowing this free from a friend I can't complain. Hopefully, in another 21 days I'll collection of Australorps. Funny thing, I can't believe how much I'm acting like a broody hen! I'm checking that thing every hour!

This journey into chickens is courtesy of my dad, who decided it would be nice for us kids to see a batch of eggs hatch when I was young. Now, of course, I will do the same for my kids. Unlike my dad, I will probably end up keeping these - just don't tell my husband!

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    just remember if it is still air temp needs to be 101-102 deg.
    forced air needs to be 99.5....... goodluck!

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    you will do fine !! I have an LG also and I hatched my first ducklings - they are almost 2 weeks old - I had to fuss and cuss at the temps also - but as long as you have the surge protector , and have the bator in a room free of drafts and keep an eye on it you will be fine

I loved hatching my ducklings so much that I am about to do it all over again with chicken eggs this time - they should be here anyday and than I will be off and running again LOL

Julie

4. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

101-102 temps at the top of the eggs are what you need to have. Sounds like you are fine.

Make sure if you make adjustments you wait a few hours even if you want to turn that knob don't.

Also, with the LG's sometimes a small tap on the knob is all it takes to get it adjusted right. The temp knob is VERY sensitive on these things so just adjust if you need to and do not make darmatic turns on it very small adjustments work the best.

You will do fine! I have 2 LG's one is a still air the other is a forced I like both of mine! [​IMG]

5. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I have an LG also, and I have a hovabator. The Hova is better at steady temps. Both are still air. I have some silkies ready to hatch in the LG and I have been fighting with that temp gauge. But...it has stayed between 99.5 and 102 so far. I'm trying to keep it in one place. It is not sitting in any drafts, so I can't figure out why it keeps flunctuating. I even checked with a second and a third thermometer. I'll keep using my LG but I think I'll be using my hovabator more. I bought it at Pronto.

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    May the force be with you. [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Get a surge protector to help with temp spikes. Speckledhen also recommends covering the temp adjustor at night to help prevent cool air temp transfer through it to the wafer which could also cause a spike.

Get the temps up to 101 - 102 at the tops of the eggs for your still air bator. 99.9 is a bit too low. Yes, that little bit of temp makes a huge diference in a hatch.

Good luck!

8. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Good luck and welcome to the madness!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by