LG Question before lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teamsunbelt, Oct 2, 2011.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I am getting ready for lockdown. One question:

My LG still air as been holding tempartures very well, considering all of my tinkering. I have been holding temps at around 100* at the top of the eggs. Wgen I remove the turner and put the eggs lower in the bator, should i raise the temp to compensate for temp change in the bottom of the incubator or let it ride?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Whatever you do do not ajust. LGs are terrible at making ajustments. Just take and egg carton and cut out the bottom and put them in that. There are pictures somewhere on here just cant remember where.[​IMG]

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I was always told that unless the temp is below 98 or above 102 for more than 2 hours you do not adjust. So take the eggs out put them back in without the turner (the carton idea is a good one because then they stay in the same height they were in with the turner. Once they are back in wait 2 hours before making any adjustments. Sometimes you can adjust merely by adding or removing a plug rather than using the temp dial.

I also use and LG and as long as it's in a draft free place it's very steady.

4. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Sounds good.

also, how is the easiest way to add water to increase humidity. I filled all the channels with water and added a few soaked sponges. Waiting for it to level out.

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:It's going to sound very weird but I fill all the channels and then put a sponge under one of the small holes in the incubator. Then I use some aquarium tubing run down to the sponge and a syringe from the pharmacy to fill the sponge when needed. That way I don't have to open the incubator up to fill it so no temp or humidity issues. Make sure you don't put paper towel under the sponge though or everything will get very wet lol.

6. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Quote:It's going to sound very weird but I fill all the channels and then put a sponge under one of the small holes in the incubator. Then I use some aquarium tubing run down to the sponge and a syringe from the pharmacy to fill the sponge when needed. That way I don't have to open the incubator up to fill it so no temp or humidity issues. Make sure you don't put paper towel under the sponge though or everything will get very wet lol.

I read on a post somewhere to fill the channels with water and add paper towels, rolled up. Slowed down the loss of water. I did put papertowels in the channels. The sponges are on the sides, outside the channels. I have the plastic liner installed, so any water I add that does not hit a sponge, will make its way to a sponge. I am almost to 70% right now, so I will let it ride till morning to see where I am at. I have tubing and a syringe at the ready.

i get to watch tomorrow, then I will be gone all day on Tuesday. Get back home Wed morning, hoping for a full incubator and empty eggs. Brooder on standby.

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    The egg carton is a lot easier than the other safe alternative, which is raising the wire screen. However, I think I get better results from the raising of the screen.

8. Quote:Hi! You need to adjust the thermostat so the air temperature is 100 degrees at *new* egg height.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just lay the eggs in the bottom. If the temp is around 100 I think you are ok. I don't change mine and have very successful hatches. I did eventually put a fan in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by