1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LG Still-Air Incubator To Buy or Not to Buy

Discussion in 'Quail' started by freeflyin, Mar 16, 2013.

1. freeflyin

freeflyin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I'm trying to get organized for my first hatch, researching, planning, constructing, etc. I have decided to get a couple dozen coturnix eggs and am trying to decide which incubator to buy. I have looked around and a good buy seems to be this LG Still-Air Incubator. I would like to get it, but want to make sure that it works well. What's the point in buying something cheaper if I will have to turn right around and spend more money on a better product. Any past experiences with this incubator or suggestions on a different one to get would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for something too expensive. Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The trouble with still air incubators is just that...still air, which creates hot spots within the incubator. Hot spots are bad and can cause birth defects and no hatches in some of the eggs. The benefits of a forced air corrects this issue. You could always add a fan to this incubator, if it doesn't run the cost up much.

3. freeflyin

Mar 13, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've read when making your own incubator you can use an old computer fan to circulate the air, would it be possible to add one of those?
    Also, I've heard the thermostat doesn't always work correctly especially at first, should I add another thermometer and hygrometer just to make sure they are correct?

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    FreeFlyin, welcome to the forum and good luck with your future fun with quail. I couldn't help but notice that you mentioned that amoung other things, you are "constructing". I hate to pay for something I could construct myself for far less. You never mentioned how many eggs you will be incubating. With that said, may I suggest you check out this incubator that will hold 24 chicken eggs. It is home built on a site called Instructables. You may find it of interest. You will have to turn your eggs by hand every 8 hours or so. The total investment would be around $30, depending on your source for supplies.

I was really close to constructing this particular one, when the local Tractor Supply Company had an incubator on sale that had an automatic egg turner and egg candler, and chose to spend the money. For quail, the incubator I purchased (similar to LG) will hold 120 quail eggs, but I will never have that many to hatch.

5. freeflyin

Mar 13, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    That site is really great! And I don't think that I will be incubating more that two dozen eggs at a time, if that many. It would be a cool project to make this particular one, especially with such detailed instructions and great pictures. Thanks for the info and the welcome!

6. stefanfarms

stefanfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    windsor CT
    finally got my question about still air incubators answered, nice thread

7. freeflyin

Mar 13, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I'm glad it could help you!

8. ANMwoodducks

ANMwoodducks Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    Hey freeflyin, if your interested in getting the lg still air, then why not spend a little more money and get the lg circulated air? i think its like a 30 dollar diffrence. I have one and its an okay incubator, nothing beats cabinet incubators though. I love thoose things.

9. iheartquail

iheartquail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    I'm a quail hatching virgin, currently have 15 eggs in the LG 9200 still air incubator. It seems to be working pretty well, we shall see in 1-3 days how well it worked! I initially was having trouble regulating the temperature, but I added a $15 USB fan that is plugged into a wall adapter. Since I added that, temps have been very stable. But again, we shall see! I'm pretty sure 1 of the eggs isn't fertile, so I'm hoping for 14 little ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by