LG still air incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenboy95, Jan 1, 2009.

1. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    ok i just got a LG still air incubator. i dont have anything for me to meausure the humidity in the bator. how important is the humidity. i dont have anything to meausure it with. any homemade things i could use to measure it with??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it's uber important. you can get a hygrometer at a pet supply store for about 5-6 bucks. it will be with the reptile supplies.

congrats on your incubator!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Its VERY important !!!! They only cost $5.00-$7.00 at walmart, anyway someone could help you buy one ??

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    we have the same incubator. just make sure you keep water in the rings at the bottom. on day 18 pull out both plugs at the top

5. chickenboy95

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    oh ok but what if per say i cant get to someplace that has it. will my hatch still be successful or not???

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You can buy a hygrometor and temp combination made by ACCURITE at walmart for $11. Dont trust the thermometer that came with your incubator as they are always bad !

When you get hygrometer you need to check it for accuracy !
    Put a coffee cup with 1/2 cup salt and just enough water to make it pasty. put in a ziplock baggie the lay hygrometer in bag next to it and zip up. Put some where that is a pretty steady temp. for 12 hours. If it's right on it will read 75. If it doesn't then you have to calculate as your hatch is going.

Example: if it is at 72 then when you are controlling humidity during hatch you will know it is showing 4 degres low. or if it says 78 you know it is 3 high.
    You should test your hygrometer before each hatch as they can change.
    I know it is more money but it will make a big difference in how your hatch goes ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Happy hatching !!!! [​IMG] Let us know how it's going OK

7. chickenboy95

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    thanks

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I couldn't find a hygrometor to use with my hatch. I just kept the bottom partially filled up with water and I got babes hatching now [​IMG]

9. chickenboy95

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    oh ok thanks. that is a big relief. im glad you don't necessarily have to have one

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would get one if you can. I just couldn't find one at the time. I did buy another thermometor to put in there just in case. Your is probably just like this isn't it?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by