LG still air LOCKDOWN - humidity too low??

carolynb

Chicken Kisser
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Raynham
We are on day 20 and the humidity in our LG still air will not go up. We have filled the bottom with water and added a sponge. It's been low most of the day...will the chicks make it? How do I get the humidity higher? Any help would be much appreciated.

luvmychickas

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Massachusetts
I have the same incubator and in order to get the humidity up, I had to add a couple small bowls of warm water and I got it right where it needed to be. Hope this helps you some.

carolynb

Chicken Kisser
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Raynham
Thanks, luvmychickas! I'm nervous about opening the incubator at this point...should I open it to raise the humidity or leave the humidity where it is and risk them drying out? Everything I read says don't open the incubator during lockdown for ANY reason.
sad.png
I don't know what to do!!

luvmychickas

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Massachusetts
No problem
smile.png
Trust me a couple lockdowns ago, I was where you are. I would just open to get some more water in there. When I did that to mine the next day 2 of them hatched and I was lucky that I got those guys. So I would do it again. I am sure there are many differing opinions on this, but I am going by what worked for my babies
smile.png

Last edited:

carolynb

Chicken Kisser
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Raynham
Ok...I'm going to do it!! I think it's the best thing to do. Wish me luck
smile.png
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:

Elite Silkies

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
I have hatched 14 so far, and they hatched at different times, I had to open the bator to get them out when they were dry. I also open to add water, and I haven't lost any yet. They are all doing well.

Walmart has a huge sponge in the dishwashing section. I put that in mine and it keeps the humidity as high as I need it. I run around 65-73%.

The sponge is probably at least 2 inches thick by 5 or 6 inches long.

Laurieks

Where did the time go???
11 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Sonoma County, CA
We go on lockdown tomorrow
fl.gif
10 Cream Brabanter eggs; 3 with movement inside, 4 clear-ish (opening the last 3 of those tonight, ugh), and 3 dark with a 'saddle-like' air cell (checking those tonight...maybe they will move for me
fl.gif
)
I raised humidity with some plastic Easter egg halves placed in the ends of the rack with water in them.
There is also a piece of IV extension tubing with a 20cc syringe, without the plunger, to act as a funnel to get more water down to the reservoirs. Ask your local healthcare professional... opened but unused packages are often left over at the end of the day.
I had a sponge in there at the beginning, and took it out because it kept getting to 75% It's a pop-up sponge, bought by the bag at Trader Joe's a loooong time ago.
I thought they were all dead after the LG went up to 104+ on a hot day.
barnie.gif

carolynb

Chicken Kisser
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Raynham
I put two dishes in with warm water....added more warm water to the sponge and put the vent plugs back in....it's still only at 56%. On the upside...yesterday was day 19 not 20 so hopefully they are still ok. Any other ways to get the humidity up? I am afraid to use a humidifier in the room as there are two other incubators in there that are not in lockdown.

Good Luck Laurieks!!
fl.gif
did you get some movement??

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom