LG Still Air Riddle

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by riftnreef, Dec 16, 2009.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    OK, its my second batch of eggs in my LG, and I went out and bought a turner this go round. First let me say that I LOVE the turner...it is working wonderfully. No more heat loss from constant turning, less chance of contamination, etc... Any way, the little bulb thermometer that came with the turner has been dead on at 100 degrees, but I've noticed something interesting from my digital...when the turner is facing one way it reads around 99.1....when facing the other way it reads 100.7 or so. I understand the idea of layered heat in a sill air, but side to side? Any way, just wondering if any one else has noticed a similar occurance.

2. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    easy, Hot air rises, as the trays turn side to side, it deflects the hot air. You will see this in cabinet incubators as well, even with fans. Not a problem, the temps will adverage out.

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Where is the digital inside your incubator? Is it dead center...or closer to one side?

4. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Its off to one side so I can see it through the window...towards the middle, but not exactly. Through the cycle when it is in a flat position, the temp is right on, just when its tilted to one side or another. Oddly enough, when it is pointing towards the heating element, it is lower, but when it is pointed towards the center of the bator it's higher? Odd no?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by