LG Still Air vents?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kinardmommy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    This is my first hatch and I am a few hours away from starting day 20. I have kept one of the top vents open on the LG still air throughout the incubation but now I am having trouble keeping my humidity up. I have the reservoir full,sponges, a dish of water(with small pebbles in it) and wet paper towels in there and with the vent open I can only get it to about 58%. I have closed off the top vent hole and it is now at 66%. SO... is this okay to have both vents closed or will it hinder the process and is the humidity okay?

2. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Songster

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Just from what I have read yes you plug both holes to raise the humidity. Hopefully someone who knows more will see this soon.

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:You might also want to check your humidity meter.

Still air incubators (is it still air?) can take a long time to change RH, and every time they are opened they have to *start again*.

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I had the same question cuz I also have the lg still air I have had alot trouble keeping the temp.consistent.As the weather outside changes warms up the incubator needs adjusting and it is so easy to over adjust.I have ordered a circulating air hovabator and more eggs since I only have 3 left that are still alive

5. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    I added the sponges, water dish, etc. throughout the evening yesterday b/c I could not get the humidity up. Finally about 11:30 last night I closed off the vent. Right now it is at 67% so it seems to be rising veeery slowly. If it gets too high I will have to remove some so we'll see.

6. donnap1967

donnap1967 Songster

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    The hova bator I used has those holes on top too. I was thinking I only got three chicks out of twelve cause maybe I didnt plug or unplug the holes at the right times. I was told by the guy at the farm where I rented it that the holes should remain sealed for three days and then unplug them. Is there a science to plugging and unplugging those holes?

I wasn't sure if they were to regulate the humidity mostly or if there is more to it..like more fresh air needed in the bator at a certain point.

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:There is some science, yes.

Fortunately, GQF did all that, so their recommendations are the best place to start.

It's a balance between retaining moisture and sufficient ventilation .... read the manual, then we can take it from there.

This explains the science bit ....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=44622

8. 4roosandahen

4roosandahen In the Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have the same kind of bator and had the same problem with my first hatch. I found that if I kept a humidifier in the room running 24 and put 2 damp socks(rolled up long wise) in it and it stayed at the right humidity(the socks were only in it after day 18). Good luck! [​IMG]

9. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    Thank you all for the info. I am trying the sock method so I will se if that will work. Today is day 20 so maybe tomorow there will be some action. Keep you posted....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: